Atlanta, the capital of Georgia, is a charming city that offers visitors plenty of things to see and do. From exploring its rich history to indulging in delicious Southern cuisine, Atlanta has something for everyone. If you’re planning a trip to the city and wondering about the top attractions and must-do activities, you’re in the right place. In this post, we’ll be sharing some of the best things to do in Atlanta that will make your trip unforgettable. So, let’s dive in and explore this vibrant city together!
The 4 Best Activities in Atlanta
- Atlanta City Tour by Electric Car
- City Lights Atlanta Evening Tour
- Atlanta Skyview Ferris Wheel Ticket
- Atlanta Self Guided Audio Walking Tour
The 4 Best Activities in Atlanta
1. Atlanta City Tour by Electric Car
Looking for a eco-friendly way to explore the vibrant city of Atlanta? Look no further than this 90-minute guided city tour by electric car. Relax as your expert local guide and driver take you to some of Atlanta’s most iconic sites and neighborhoods such as Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, and Midtown. Learn about the city’s rich history, including its pivotal role in the civil rights movement and see the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site. Enjoy the pulse of the city as you venture past the World of Coca-Cola Museum and Centennial Olympic Park. This tour provides an excellent comprehensive overview of the city, making it perfect for Atlanta natives and newcomers alike.
2. City Lights Atlanta Evening Tour
Discover the illuminated beauty of Atlanta on this small-group evening tour. Hop aboard a private vehicle and explore the city’s top landmarks, including Centennial Park, Mercedes Benz Stadium, Ponce City Market, and the Old 4th Ward District. With your knowledgeable driver and tour guide, learn about Atlanta’s fascinating stories and history as you admire a new perspective of the city under the night sky. Relax in the air-conditioned vehicle and enjoy a complimentary bottle of water. Gratuity is suggested but not included. Child car seat is available upon request. The meeting point is the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, where you will be picked up at the hotel’s street curbside.
3. Atlanta Skyview Ferris Wheel Ticket
Tower nearly 20 stories above Centennial Park in downtown Atlanta with this ticket to the SkyView Ferris wheel. Enjoy breathtaking views of the city skyline while experiencing the exhilaration of riding up to 20 stories high. Keep your group comfortable in a fully climate-controlled gondola that accommodates up to six passengers. Choose from a standard ticket for 7-12 minutes or upgrade to the VIP gondola which features leather seats and hardwood floors and ride for up to 20 minutes. Don’t worry about sitting with strangers as there is an option to book a private gondola for your group. This tour is not suitable for wheelchair users. Book now and get ready for an unforgettable ride above the city.
4. Atlanta Self Guided Audio Walking Tour
Experience Atlanta’s top attractions on this self-guided audio walking tour via an app. Begin at Centennial Olympic Park and learn about the 1996 Olympic Games, as well as the unsolved bombing that occurred. Enjoy animated videos that bring the city’s history to life.
Next, head to the World of Coca-Cola, where you can experience the unique exhibits, learn about the brand’s rich history, and sample different Coke flavors from around the world.
Continue your tour by visiting the Georgia Aquarium, the largest aquarium in the western hemisphere, and explore the depths of the ocean. You’ll also learn about Martin Luther King Jr. and visit his birthplace, while hearing about the city’s transformation after the Great Atlanta Fire of 1917.
Whether you’re a history buff or just visiting for the first time, this self-guided audio walking tour is the perfect way to experience Atlanta at your own pace.
Top FAQs about Atlanta for TouristsIf you’re planning a trip to Atlanta, you probably have a lot of questions about the city. Here are the top frequently asked questions by tourists about Atlanta that will help you have an enjoyable visit.
1. What are the must-visit tourist attractions in Atlanta?Atlanta has several attractions, and depending on your interests, you may want to visit different places. However, some of the must-visit tourist attractions in Atlanta include:
- Georgia Aquarium- it’s the largest aquarium in the Western Hemisphere.
- World of Coca-Cola- it’s a museum that showcases the history of Coca-Cola.
- Centennial Olympic Park- it’s a public park built for the 1996 Olympic Games and houses several popular attractions such as the Fountain of Rings, an interactive water fountain, and the SkyView Atlanta, which is a Ferris wheel that offers a panoramic view of the city.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden- it’s a beautiful garden spread over 30 acres and houses several plants, including rare species from all over the world.
- Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site- it’s a national park dedicated to the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and includes several historical landmarks, such as Ebenezer Baptist Church and King’s Childhood Home.
2. What is the best time to visit Atlanta?Atlanta has a humid subtropical climate, and the temperature ranges from 32°F to 90°F throughout the year. The best time to visit Atlanta is between March and May or between September and November when the weather is mild, and the city is less crowded. Summers are hot and humid, while winters are mild and occasionally see snowfall.
3. What are the transportation options for getting around Atlanta?The most popular transportation options for getting around Atlanta include:
- MARTA- it’s Atlanta’s public transportation system and has bus and train services throughout the city.
- Taxi- cab services are available, but mostly in the city center.
- Car rental- several car rental agencies operate in the city, and this option gives you more flexibility to visit places outside the city center.
- Bicycle- cycling has become popular in Atlanta, and several bike-sharing programs, such as Relay Bike Share, operate in the city.
4. What are some popular neighborhoods to explore in Atlanta?Atlanta has several neighborhoods that offer a unique perspective on the city. Some of the popular neighborhoods to explore in Atlanta include:
- Midtown- located in the city center, it’s a trendy neighborhood filled with art galleries, restaurants, and bars.
- Virginia Highlands- it’s a historic neighborhood that combines commercial and residential areas and offers a bohemian vibe with several restaurants, coffee shops, and boutiques.
- Buckhead- it’s an upscale neighborhood known for its high-end shopping and dining establishments.
- East Atlanta Village- it’s a hip neighborhood located on the east side of the city and known for its street art, music venues, and local bars.
5. What are the top food and drink options in Atlanta?Atlanta has a rich food culture with several options for food and drink. Some of the must-try food and drink options in Atlanta include:
- Barbecue- Atlanta has several barbecue joints that have been around for decades and offer mouth-watering ribs and brisket. Some of the popular ones include Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, Daddy D’z BBQ Joynt, and Heirloom Market BBQ.
- Peaches- Georgia is known for its peaches, and you can’t leave Atlanta without trying some fresh peach cobbler or peach ice cream. Some of the popular places for peach desserts in Atlanta include Mary Mac’s Tea Room, The Varsity, and The Southern Gentleman.
- Cocktails- Atlanta has several bars that have become popular for their unique cocktails. Some of the popular ones include The Lawrence, The Sound Table, and The Paper Plane.
- Craft beer- Atlanta has a thriving craft beer scene, and several breweries, such as SweetWater Brewing Company, Three Taverns Craft Brewery, and Monday Night Brewing, offer tours and tastings.
6. What are the family-friendly activities in Atlanta?Atlanta has several family-friendly activities that kids and adults will enjoy. Some of the top family-friendly activities in Atlanta include:
- Atlanta Zoo- it’s located in Grant Park and houses several animals, including pandas, gorillas, and tigers.
- Legoland Discovery Center- it’s located in Phipps Plaza and offers several Lego-themed rides, exhibits, and play areas for kids.
- Children’s Museum of Atlanta- it’s a hands-on museum for kids that offers several interactive exhibits that teach science, art, and culture.
- Atlanta History Center- it’s a museum that showcases the history of Atlanta and offers several exhibits, including the Swan House, which is a mansion built-in 1928.