The Best Pub Crawls in Chicago
Chicago is renowned for its vibrant nightlife, with a plethora of bars and pubs scattered throughout the city. When it comes to experiencing the local drinking culture, there’s no better way than embarking on a pub crawl. The Windy City offers some of the best pub crawls in the country, catering to both tourists and locals alike.
In this blog post, we’ll take you on a journey through the top pub crawls in Chicago. From historic neighborhoods to trendy hotspots, we’ll explore the diverse bar scene this city has to offer. So put on your drinking shoes and get ready to discover the best pub crawls Chicago has in store.
The 2 Best Bar Hopping Tours in Chicago
The 2 Best Bar Hopping Tours in Chicago
1. Loop and South Loop Beer Tour
Explore Chicago’s Loop and South Loop neighborhoods on this guided 3-hour beer tour. Visit popular downtown establishments and sample some of the city’s finest brews. Learn how beer goes with Chicago’s criminal past, discovering the basics of the Windy City’s vice history. From Al Capone and the local mob scene to the infamous Sands, the toughest criminal district in the city, this tour creates a unique experience that is both fun and memorable. Beer tastings and a pizza pairing at one location are included.
During this tour, you will have the opportunity to visit Chicago’s Loop and South Loop neighborhoods, two vibrant areas filled with history and culture. You will be guided by a professional guide who will share interesting facts and stories about the city’s beer scene and its connection to Chicago’s criminal past.
The tour will take you to popular downtown establishments where you will have the chance to sample some of Chicago’s finest brews. Whether you are a beer aficionado or just curious about local flavors, this tour offers a great opportunity to taste a variety of beers and learn about the brewing process.
In addition to the beer tastings, you will also enjoy a pizza pairing at one of the locations. Indulge in the delicious combination of beer and pizza, a classic Chicago pairing.
Throughout the tour, you will learn about the history of beer in Chicago and its ties to the city’s criminal past. Discover the impact of figures like Al Capone and explore the notorious Sands district, known for its criminal activity. Gain a unique perspective on Chicago’s vice history and how it relates to the beer culture of the city.
Join this beer tour and experience the best of Chicago’s beer scene while uncovering the secrets of its criminal past. It’s a tour that combines history, culture, and great beer in one unforgettable experience.
- Professional guide
- Beer tastings (if option selected)
- Small food tasting included
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What’s Not Included:
- Food and drinks unless specified
Exchequer Restaurant & Pub
226 S Wabash Ave
2. Haunted Evening Chicago Pub Tour
Enjoy a memorable Chicago experience on the Haunted Evening Chicago Pub Tour. Your costumed guide, dressed as a Flapper or 1920s Gangster, will lead you on a mile-long journey through the city’s haunted past. Listen to spooky stories of forgotten cemeteries and lingering spirits as you explore the spooky hidden corners of the city.
This haunted pub tour grants you a unique Chicago experience, immersing you in the city’s rich history of hauntings and ghostly encounters. Your local guide, dressed in period attire, will regale you with tales of Chicago’s haunted past.
During the tour, you will make stops at three different bars where you can enjoy drinks at your own expense. As you sip your drink, you’ll learn the secret tales and legends that have shaped Chicago’s ghostly reputation.
The tour begins at Lincoln Station, located at 2432 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60614, USA. Look for your costumed guide inside the station. The tour will end at Racine Plumbing Bar & Grill or at a nearby spot.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to explore the spooky side of Chicago on the Haunted Evening Chicago Pub Tour. Book your tour today for a truly unforgettable experience!
- Local guide
- Tour escort/host
- Take-home commemorative can cooler or cup!
- Alcoholic drinks (available for purchase)
Meeting point: Lincoln Station, 2432 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
End point: Racine Plumbing Bar & Grill, 2642 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Prepare yourself for a captivating evening of ghostly tales, historic locations, and spine-tingling ambiance on the Haunted Evening Chicago Pub Tour.
What To Expect:
Explore the haunted side of Chicago’s Lincoln Park as your costumed guide takes you on a journey through the city’s dark past. Listen to ghost stories and legends while meandering through the spooky hidden corners of the neighborhood.
The Ultimate Guide to Pub Crawls in Chicago: Frequently Asked Questions
Pub crawls are a popular activity for locals and visitors alike in the bustling city of Chicago. With a wide range of bars, breweries, and pubs to explore, Chicago offers an exciting and diverse pub crawl experience. Whether you’re a beer enthusiast, cocktail lover, or simply looking to have a memorable night out, this guide will answer all your frequently asked questions about pub crawls in Chicago.
What is a pub crawl?
A pub crawl is a social event where participants visit multiple bars, pubs, or breweries in a specific area. It typically involves a group of people moving from one establishment to another, enjoying drinks, socializing, and exploring different venues. Pub crawls are often organized by tour companies or groups of friends and can have various themes, such as craft beer tastings, cocktail tours, or historical pub crawls.
How do pub crawls work in Chicago?
In Chicago, pub crawls can be organized in several ways. Some pub crawls follow a pre-determined route, with participants visiting a set list of bars or pubs. Others offer more flexibility, allowing participants to choose which venues they want to visit from a curated list. Some pub crawls include drink specials or complimentary drinks at each stop, while others offer discounted admission or exclusive access to certain venues.
What are the most popular neighborhoods for pub crawls in Chicago?
Chicago is known for its vibrant neighborhoods, each offering a unique pub crawl experience. Here are some of the most popular neighborhoods for pub crawls in Chicago:
- River North: This neighborhood is a hub for nightlife, with numerous bars, clubs, and lounges to explore.
- Wicker Park: Known for its trendy bars and craft breweries, Wicker Park is a favorite among beer enthusiasts.
- Logan Square: This neighborhood is home to a diverse range of bars and breweries, perfect for a pub crawl with friends.
- Lincoln Park: With a mix of sports bars, lounges, and Irish pubs, Lincoln Park offers something for everyone.
- Lakeview: Lakeview is known for its lively bar scene, particularly in the popular areas of Wrigleyville and Boystown.
Are pub crawls suitable for solo travelers?
Absolutely! Pub crawls can be a fantastic way for solo travelers to meet new people and experience Chicago’s nightlife. By joining a pub crawl, you’ll be part of a social group and have the opportunity to make new friends who share similar interests. It can also be a safer option for solo travelers, as you’ll be exploring the city with a group.
Is there an age requirement for participating in pub crawls in Chicago?
Yes, the legal drinking age in Chicago, and the United States, is 21 years old. Therefore, participants in pub crawls must be at least 21 years old and carry a valid ID as proof of age. Venues on the pub crawl route will typically check IDs before serving alcoholic beverages.
How can I find pub crawls in Chicago?
There are several ways to find pub crawls in Chicago:
- Search online: Use search engines or websites dedicated to Chicago nightlife to find pub crawl events.
- Check with local tour companies: Many tour companies in Chicago offer pub crawl experiences. Visit their websites or contact them directly to inquire about upcoming events.
- Ask locals or fellow travelers: If you’re already in Chicago, ask locals or fellow travelers for recommendations on pub crawls they’ve enjoyed or heard about.
- Check social media: Follow Chicago-based event organizers, bars, or breweries on social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram. They often promote pub crawl events on their pages.
What should I wear for a pub crawl in Chicago?
Attire for a pub crawl in Chicago can vary depending on the theme or the venues you plan to visit. It’s always a good idea to dress comfortably and consider the weather conditions. While there are no strict dress codes for most bars or breweries in Chicago, it’s best to avoid wearing athletic wear or excessively casual attire for upscale establishments.
Do I need to make reservations for pub crawls?
For some pub crawls in Chicago, especially those organized by tour companies or during peak seasons, it is advisable to make reservations in advance. This ensures your spot on the pub crawl and allows the organizers to plan accordingly. However, there are also pub crawls that allow walk-ins on a first-come, first-served basis. Check the event details or contact the organizers to know their reservation policy.
How much does a pub crawl in Chicago cost?
The cost of a pub crawl in Chicago can vary depending on various factors, such as the number of venues included, drink specials, and added perks like complimentary drinks or exclusive access. On average, pub crawls in Chicago can range from $20 to $50 per person. It’s essential to read the event details or contact the organizers for precise pricing information.
Are pub crawls in Chicago safe?
Pub crawls in Chicago, like any other social activity involving alcohol, require responsible behavior. While Chicago is a generally safe city, it’s always advisable to stay aware of your surroundings, drink responsibly, and avoid excessive alcohol consumption. If you’re unfamiliar with the city, consider joining a pub crawl organized by a reputable tour company to ensure a safer and more structured experience.
How to Do Pub Crawls in Chicago: A Complete Guide
Chicago is famous for its vibrant nightlife, and one of the best ways to experience it is by embarking on a pub crawl. A pub crawl is a fun and exciting activity that involves visiting multiple bars and pubs in one night. In this guide, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to plan and execute a memorable pub crawl in the city of Chicago.
1. Research the Neighborhoods
The first step in planning a pub crawl in Chicago is to research the various neighborhoods that offer a diverse range of bars and pubs. Some popular neighborhoods for pub crawls include:
- Wicker Park: Known for its hipster vibe and craft beer bars.
- River North: Home to trendy cocktail bars and upscale lounges.
- Lincoln Park: Offers a mix of sports bars, dive bars, and upscale pubs.
- Wrigleyville: Ideal for sports enthusiasts with its proximity to Wrigley Field and sports-focused bars.
Choose a neighborhood based on your preferences and the preferences of your group.
2. Set a Date and Time
Once you’ve decided on the neighborhood, it’s time to set a date and time for your pub crawl. Consider factors such as the availability of your group members and the crowd level in the chosen neighborhood. Weekends are generally busier than weekdays, so plan accordingly. Also, avoid major holidays or events that may affect the availability and atmosphere of the bars.
3. Create a Route
The next step is to create a route for your pub crawl. Research the bars and pubs in the chosen neighborhood and map out a route that allows you to visit multiple establishments. Consider factors such as proximity, ambiance, drink specials, and any specific bars you or your group may be interested in. Ideally, choose a route where the bars are within walking distance of each other to ensure a seamless pub crawl experience.
4. Set a Budget
Before embarking on your pub crawl, it’s essential to set a budget. Determine how much you’re willing to spend on drinks, food, and transportation. Keep in mind that drinks in certain areas or at specific bars may be pricier than others. Allocate a budget for each bar and stick to it to avoid overspending.
5. Arrange Transportation
Depending on the size of your group and the distance between bars, you may need to arrange transportation. Consider options such as hiring a party bus, using rideshare services, or simply walking between bars if they are close enough. Keep safety in mind and ensure that everyone in your group has a designated driver or access to safe transportation options at the end of the night.
6. Pace Yourself and Stay Hydrated
A pub crawl can involve visiting multiple bars and consuming alcoholic beverages, so it’s essential to pace yourself and stay hydrated. Take breaks between drinks, alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and don’t feel pressured to drink excessively. It’s also essential to drink water throughout the night to stay hydrated and prevent the negative effects of alcohol.
7. Enjoy the Atmosphere and Socialize
As you embark on your pub crawl, make sure to soak in the atmosphere of each bar and pub you visit. Strike up conversations with fellow patrons and bartenders, and embrace the social aspect of the experience. Pub crawls are not just about the drinks; they’re also an opportunity to make new friends and create lasting memories.
8. Plan for Food
While the focus of a pub crawl is often on the drinks, it’s important to plan for food as well. Drinking on an empty stomach can lead to an unpleasant experience. Research the bars and pubs on your route to identify establishments that offer food options. Alternatively, plan to stop at a restaurant or food truck along the way to refuel and keep your energy levels up.
9. Stay Safe
When participating in a pub crawl, safety should be a top priority. Make sure to:
- Stick together as a group and look out for one another.
- Keep personal belongings secure.
- Avoid accepting drinks from strangers.
- Drink responsibly and know your limits.
- Use well-lit and busy routes when walking between bars.
By staying vigilant and practicing responsible drinking, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable pub crawl experience.
10. Reflect and Share the Experience
After successfully completing your pub crawl in Chicago, take the time to reflect on the experience and share it with others. Discuss the highlights and favorite bars with your group, and consider documenting your adventure through photos or a blog post. Sharing your experiences can inspire others to embark on their own pub crawl adventures and create a sense of nostalgia for your own group.
Book Your Tour Now
Embarking on a pub crawl in Chicago is an exciting way to explore the city’s vibrant nightlife. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can plan and execute a memorable pub crawl experience. Remember to research the neighborhoods, set a date and time, create a route, set a budget, arrange transportation, pace yourself, enjoy the atmosphere, plan for food, and, most importantly, stay safe. Cheers to an unforgettable pub crawl in the Windy City!
Chicago is a vibrant city with a bustling nightlife, and one of the best ways to experience it is by taking part in a pub crawl. Whether you’re a local looking for a new spot to hang out with friends or a visitor eager to explore the city’s bar scene, there’s a Chicago pub crawl to suit your preferences. In this post, we’ll explore some of the best pub crawls in Chicago, from classic routes to new and innovative tours. So grab a drink and let’s dive into the Windy City’s pub crawl scene.
The 3 Best Bar Hopping Tours in Chicago
- Chicago: Prohibition Speakeasies Bus Tour or Walking Tour
- Haunted Chicago Ghost and Pub Walking Tour
- Private Speakeasy Pub Crawl in Chicago with Local Historian
The 3 Best Bar Hopping Tours in Chicago
1. Chicago: Prohibition Speakeasies Bus Tour or Walking Tour
Discover the fascinating history of Prohibition in Chicago with the Chicago: Prohibition Speakeasies tour. This guided tour takes you to 3 or 4 of Chicago’s famous Prohibition Speakeasies where you’ll be able to learn about the city’s notorious gangsters and high society. The tour is available in two options: a Hidden in Plain Sight walking tour Downtown, or a Chicago Prohibition neighborhood bus tour. Both options come with a professional guide and entry to the Speakeasies, with the bus tour including a professional driver. You’ll have the chance to purchase food and drink at each of the speakeasies, with drink recommendations provided to enhance your experience. This tour is not suitable for people under 21 years old.
2. Haunted Chicago Ghost and Pub Walking Tour
Join the Haunted Chicago Ghost and Pub Walking Tour for a unique experience exploring the city’s spooky hidden corners. Led by a costumed guide dressed as a Flapper or 1920s Gangster, you’ll journey on a mile-long walk while learning about Chicago’s haunted past. You will stop at three different bars for drinks (at your own expense) and hear the secret tales behind each location. This tour is perfect for those looking to discover forgotten cemeteries and lingering spirits. The tour starts at Lincoln Station and ends at either Racine Plumbing Bar & Grill or a nearby spot. Don’t miss out on this haunted pub crawl adventure.
3. Private Speakeasy Pub Crawl in Chicago with Local Historian
Step back in time to the roaring twenties with a private speakeasy pub crawl in Chicago led by a local historian. Dressed in period attire, your guide will take you on a journey through secret entrances to speakeasies once frequented by notorious gangsters such as Al Capone. Learn about the colorful history of prohibition-era Chicago while sipping on prohibition-era cocktails (additional cost). Guests are welcome to dress up in period clothing and get fully immersed in the experience. This private tour includes convenient transportation with hotel pick-up and drop-off, bottled water, and of course, fascinating firsthand accounts of gangsters and bootlegging in Chicago. Join us and experience Chicago like never before with this exclusive pub crawl.
Exploring the City of Chicago: Tourists’ Frequently Asked QuestionsChicago, also known as The Windy City, is a vibrant and diverse city located in the Midwest region of the United States. It is the third-most populous city in the country and has a rich history that attracts millions of visitors every year. If you’re planning a trip to Chicago, you might have some questions about the city. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions by tourists about the city of Chicago.
1. What’s the best time to visit Chicago?Chicago has a diverse climate, characterized by cold winters and hot summers. The best time to visit Chicago is during the summer months, from June to August. During this time, the weather is warm and there are numerous outdoor events and festivals, making it the busiest and most tourist-friendly season. If you are looking for lesser crowds and better deals, the spring and fall seasons are also great options to explore the city.
2. What must-see attractions should I visit in Chicago?Chicago boasts numerous must-see attractions that cater to different interests. Here are some of the most popular ones:
(i) The Willis Tower (formerly known as Sears Tower)The Willis Tower is one of the most iconic landmarks in Chicago and the Western Hemisphere. It stands at 110 stories tall and was the tallest building in the world when it was completed in 1973. The Skydeck observation deck on the 103rd floor offers a spectacular view of the city.
(ii) Millennium ParkMillennium Park is an urban park located in the heart of Chicago. It features various art installations, gardens, fountains, and landscaped greenery. The highlight of the park is the Cloud Gate sculpture, also known as “The Bean”, which is a must-see for tourists.
(iii) Museum CampusMuseum Campus is a park located in the South Loop neighborhood of Chicago. It comprises three famous museums: The Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium. Visitors can enjoy a full day exploring the exhibits, artifacts, and interactive displays.
(iv) Navy PierNavy Pier is a popular tourist destination located on the shoreline of Lake Michigan. It features various family-friendly attractions such as a Ferris wheel, an IMAX theater, and boat tours. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of restaurants and shops.
3. What’s the best way to get around Chicago?Chicago has a well-connected public transportation system. The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) offers “L” trains and buses that can take you to most parts of the city. The “L” train has several lines that run 24/7 and cover most of the popular tourist spots.Taxis and ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft are also available for those who prefer a more direct mode of transportation. Biking is also a popular option, with several bike rental stations located throughout the city.
4. What are some budget-friendly activities to do in Chicago?Chicago has plenty of affordable attractions for budget-conscious tourists. Here are some suggestions:
(i) Chicago RiverwalkThe Chicago Riverwalk is a public promenade that runs along the Chicago River. Visitors can enjoy a leisurely stroll and view the city’s iconic architecture. They can also sit down and enjoy a picnic or a drink at one of the many outdoor cafes.
(ii) Lincoln Park ZooThe Lincoln Park Zoo is a free zoo located in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago. It features a wide variety of animals, from lions to penguins, and is a great attraction for families with children.
(iii) Millennium ParkMillennium Park is not only an attraction for art lovers, but also budget-friendly. Visitors can enjoy the art installations, outdoor concerts, and free movie screenings. There is also a playground for kids to enjoy.
5. What’s the best way to experience Chicago’s food scene?Chicago is known for its diverse and delicious food scene, ranging from deep dish pizza to Hot Doug’s iconic hot dogs. Here are some tips to fully experience it:
(i) Take a food tourFood tours are a great way to experience the city’s different neighborhoods and local cuisines. There are various tours available, ranging from pizza tours to food truck tours.
(ii) visit a street festivalChicago hosts several street festivals throughout the year that celebrate the city’s diverse food culture. The Taste of Chicago festival is one of the most popular ones and offers a variety of food options from different cuisines.
(iii) Visit local food marketsChicago has several local food markets that offer a wide variety of cuisines and flavors. Some notable examples include the Chicago French Market, the Maxwell Street Market, and the Pilsen Community Market.
In conclusion, Chicago is a diverse and vibrant city that has something for everyone. Whether you’re a foodie, history buff, art lover, or simply looking for a fun vacation spot, Chicago has it all. By following these tips and recommendations, you can make the most out of your visit and create unforgettable memories.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in ChicagoChicago, also known as the Windy City, is a bustling metropolis with a rich history and thriving cultural scene. As a tourist, there’s no shortage of things to see and do in Chicago, but with so many options, it can be overwhelming to decide where to start. In this guide, we’ll break down some of the must-see attractions and activities to help you make the most of your time in the city.
1. Visit the world-famous attractionsChicago is home to some iconic tourist attractions that shouldn’t be missed on your visit. One of the most famous is the Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower, which was once the tallest building in the world. Take a trip up to the Skydeck on the 103rd floor for an incredible panoramic view of the city. Another iconic attraction is the Navy Pier, a boardwalk-style entertainment complex on Lake Michigan that’s home to a Ferris wheel, shops, restaurants and more.
2. Explore the city’s architectureChicago is known for its stunning architecture, from the historic skyscrapers of the Loop to the modern designs of the city’s skyline. To explore the architectural history of the city, take a river cruise or walking tour led by an expert guide. The Chicago Architecture Center is also a great place to learn more about the city’s design history and famous architects.
3. Experience the city’s cultureChicago has a thriving arts and cultural scene, with world-renowned museums, galleries, theaters, and music venues. The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the largest and oldest art museums in the country, with an extensive collection of works from around the world. For music lovers, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Chicago Theatre host regular performances and concerts. And don’t forget to check out the Chicago Cultural Center for free events and exhibits.
4. Indulge in Chicago’s culinary sceneChicago is known for its unique and diverse food scene, from deep-dish pizza to hot dogs to Italian beef sandwiches. To truly experience the city’s culinary offerings, consider taking a food tour or visiting some of the local food markets, such as the Chicago French Market or the Maxwell Street Market. Don’t leave without trying some classic Chicago-style pizza from one of the city’s famous pizza spots, like Lou Malnati’s or Giordano’s.
5. Enjoy the outdoorsChicago has plenty of green spaces and parks to enjoy, even in the heart of the city. If you’re visiting during the summer months, head to the beaches along Lake Michigan for some fun in the sun. Alternatively, visit one of the city’s many parks, such as Millennium Park or Grant Park, for a picnic or a stroll. For a more active outdoor experience, rent a bike and ride along the lakefront trail or take a kayak tour along the Chicago River.
6. Discover the city’s neighborhoodsEach neighborhood in Chicago has its own unique character and charm, so take some time to explore beyond the city center. From the trendy boutiques of Wicker Park to the historic homes of Hyde Park, there’s something to discover around every corner. Consider taking a guided tour or even renting a bike to explore the different neighborhoods at your own pace.Chicago is a vibrant and exciting city with endless options for things to see and do. By following these tips and exploring some of the city’s top attractions and hidden gems, you’re sure to have an unforgettable trip.
Table of Contents