Rotterdam, the second-largest city in the Netherlands, is known for its vibrant modern architecture, lively cultural scene, and innovative spirit. This bustling port city has a lot to offer to anyone seeking a unique and memorable travel experience. From world-class museums and cutting-edge galleries to trendy restaurants and bars, Rotterdam has something to offer to everyone. In this post, we’ll take you on an insightful journey to discover the best attractions and things to do in Rotterdam, so you can make the most out of your visit to this vibrant Dutch city. So, pack your bags and let’s explore Rotterdam together.
The 6 Best Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Rotterdam Adventure Date City Exploration Game for Couples
- Rotterdam Rib Speedboat Sightseeing Cruise
- Rotterdam Grand Walking Tour
- Private Rotterdam Tour With Cube House Entrance
- Rotterdam 1 Hour Sightseeing Splash Tour
- Rotterdam 2 Hour Guided Walking Tour
The 6 Best Things to Do in Rotterdam
1. Rotterdam Adventure Date City Exploration Game for Couples
Explore Rotterdam with your loved one in a unique and playful way with this adventure date city exploration game. This interactive smartphone app will take you on a journey where you will complete fun tasks and answer questions about each other to unlock clues to your next destination. Earn points for each correctly solved task and form a deeper bond with your partner and the city by creating new memories together. This self-guided tour includes a live tour guide and bonus content. Immerse yourself in this exciting and exhilarating experience that combines exploration and a relationship-building game all in one. Book now for a memorable date with your loved one in Rotterdam.
2. Rotterdam Rib Speedboat Sightseeing Cruise
Feast your eyes on Rotterdam’s iconic landmarks on a thrilling RIB speedboat sightseeing cruise. Feel the rush of adrenaline as you jet across the Maas River, passing sights such as the Euromast, Hotel New York, and the SS Rotterdam. Your knowledgeable skipper will guide you through the city’s impressive skyline and architecture with fascinating anecdotes. This sustainable tour compensates for its carbon footprint and includes safety equipment, protection and indemnity insurance, gas, carbon dioxide compensation, and pickup and drop-off. Please note that this tour is not suitable for pregnant women, people with mobility impairments, or those under 4 ft 3 in (130 cm).
3. Rotterdam Grand Walking Tour
The Rotterdam Grand Walking Tour is a 2-hour guided walking tour that takes you through the colorful history and character of the bustling port city. With your guide, you’ll visit the city’s top sights and architectural icons, including the Groothandelsgebouw, the Lijnbaan shopping area, the neo-classical City Hall, and the contemporary Timmerhuis.
After a short break at the Markthal, the city’s indoor marketplace, the tour continues along the River Maas, where you’ll be treated to amazing views of the Head of South, a new development on the south bank of the river. The tour culminates at the iconic Erasmus Bridge, the symbol of modern Rotterdam.
This walking tour is the perfect way to experience Rotterdam’s rich history and modern energy in just two hours. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to explore one of Europe’s most dynamic cities.
4. Private Rotterdam Tour With Cube House Entrance
Explore Rotterdam on a 2-hour private guided walking tour with a local perspective. Your guide will provide an overview of the city’s history as you take in several historic sites including the Town Hall St. Laurens Church and the first high-rise building in Europe. Learn what happened in the WWII bombings and why Rotterdam boasts such a wealth of modern architecture. Admire the new and imposing Markthal, the famous cube houses, and the Erasmus Bridge. The tour also includes admission to the Cube House Museum, where you can discover the unique concept of the cube houses. Continue your walk along the lovely shopping streets and experience the lifestyle of modern Rotterdam. Feel free to ask your guide as many questions as you wish.
5. Rotterdam 1 Hour Sightseeing Splash Tour
Take a 1-hour Rotterdam Sightseeing Splash Tour to see the top sights of this beautiful port town. Board an amphibious bus in the city center and enjoy a tour that takes you past the most exceptional places in Rotterdam. Learn about the city’s history through the onboard multilingual audio commentary or your expert guide.
The highlight of the tour is the thrilling splash into the Maas River, where the bus turns into a seaworthy vessel sailing down the river. Suitable for guests of all ages, this tour is not recommended for pregnant women or wheelchair users. Book now to experience the best of Rotterdam in a unique and exciting way!
6. Rotterdam 2 Hour Guided Walking Tour
This 2-hour guided walking tour in Rotterdam is a must-do activity for first-time visitors to the city. Starting from the newly built Central Station, you’ll explore the city’s stunning architecture, both historic and modern. Your knowledgeable guide will introduce you to the city’s everyday life and rich history, including the devastating consequences of World War II bombing.
The tour will take you to see iconic buildings such as The Timmerhuis and the Markthal, Europe’s most unique and beautiful covered market. You’ll also get to witness the innovative Cube Houses and the impressive Erasmus Bridge. Throughout the tour, your guide will provide insightful commentary on the city’s rich history and culture.
Whether you’re a history buff or an architecture enthusiast, this tour is the perfect way to explore Rotterdam’s top attractions and learn more about this vibrant city. Don’t miss out on this unforgettable experience!
Rotterdam: A Tourist’s FAQ GuideRotterdam is a beautiful and modern city in the Netherlands, known for its innovative architecture, rich history and culture, and bustling nightlife. If you’re planning a trip to Rotterdam, you might have some questions about the city. In this post, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions by tourists about Rotterdam.
1. What is Rotterdam known for?Rotterdam is known for its innovative architecture, which can be seen all over the city. Some of the most famous landmarks are the Erasmus Bridge, the Markthal, and the Cube Houses. The city is also famous for its busy port, which is the largest in Europe. Rotterdam is a cultural hotbed as well, with museums like the Boijmans Van Beuningen Museum, the Kunsthal Rotterdam, and the Maritime Museum.
2. What is the best time to visit Rotterdam?The best time to visit Rotterdam is from April to September, when the weather is mild and the city is buzzing with activity. However, if you’re looking for a quieter time to visit and don’t mind the cold weather, winter can be a great time to see the city’s Christmas lights and markets.
3. What are some of the best things to do in Rotterdam?There are plenty of things to do in Rotterdam, no matter what your interests are. Some of the top attractions include visiting the Rotterdam Zoo, taking a boat tour of the city’s famous port, and exploring the historic Delfshaven neighborhood. Rotterdam is also famous for its shopping districts, nightlife, and restaurants.
4. How do I get around Rotterdam?Rotterdam is a very walkable city, but you can also easily get around by bike or public transportation. The public transportation system, which includes trams, buses, and trains, is extensive and easy to use. If you want to explore the city on a bike, you can rent one from one of the many bike rental shops in the city.
5. What is the currency used in Rotterdam?The currency used in Rotterdam, and throughout the Netherlands, is the Euro (€). You can exchange your currency at banks or exchange offices, or withdraw cash from ATMs using your debit or credit card.
6. What are the tipping customs in Rotterdam?Tipping is not required in Rotterdam, as service charges are usually included in the bill. However, it is customary to round up the bill or leave a small tip for exceptional service.
7. What are some of the best restaurants in Rotterdam?Rotterdam is a food lover’s paradise, with a wide range of restaurants serving everything from traditional Dutch food to international cuisine. Some of the most popular restaurants in the city include:
- The Park – Contemporary European cuisine with a beautiful view of the city
- Bird – A trendy restaurant serving Asian-inspired dishes
- FG Restaurant – A Michelin-starred restaurant with a focus on local, organic ingredients
8. What is the nightlife like in Rotterdam?Rotterdam is known for its vibrant nightlife, with plenty of bars, clubs, and music venues to choose from. Some of the most popular nightlife areas include Witte de Withstraat, Oude Haven, and Rotterdam Central District.
9. What should I pack for a trip to Rotterdam?The weather in Rotterdam can be unpredictable, so it’s best to pack layers so you can adjust to changing temperatures throughout the day. Comfortable shoes are a must if you plan on doing a lot of walking or biking. Don’t forget to bring a raincoat or umbrella as well, as it can rain at any time of year.
10. What are some day-trip options from Rotterdam?If you have time to explore beyond Rotterdam, there are plenty of great day-trip options in the surrounding area. Some popular choices include:
- The Hague – A beautiful coastal city with plenty of history and culture
- Delft – A charming town famous for its blue-and-white ceramics
- Gouda – A picturesque town known for its cheese and gothic architecture