Interlaken, Switzerland is one of the most breathtaking destinations in the world. Surrounded by the snow-covered peaks of the Swiss Alps and nestled between two stunning lakes, this town offers adventure seekers and leisure travelers alike an unforgettable experience. With so many activities and things to see, it can be difficult to decide which attractions to visit during your stay. That’s why we’ve put together a comprehensive guide to the best things to do in Interlaken. From adrenaline-pumping outdoor adventures to scenic hikes and cultural experiences, you’ll discover that Interlaken is a destination that truly has something for everyone. So, let’s dive in and explore the best attractions in Interlaken!
The 6 Best Crazy Things to Do in Interlaken
- Kayak Tour of the Turquoise Lake Brienz
- Interlaken Tandem Paragliding Flight
- Jungfraujoch Top of Europe Group Tour
- Jungfraujoch Private Day Trip from Bern
- Interlaken Boat Day Pass on Lake Thun
- Private Guided Tour to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Including Trummelbach Waterfalls and Wengen
The 6 Best Crazy Things to Do in Interlaken
1. Kayak Tour of the Turquoise Lake Brienz
Surrounded by dense pine forests and soaring Alpine peaks, Lake Brienz offers a world of outdoor adventure on Interlaken’s doorstep. Experience the tranquility of the lake while kayaking on this small-group tour, limited to six people. Paddle through the clear mountain waters to the 12th-century citadel of Ringgenberg Castle and admire the spectacular countryside scenery. Kayak rental and all safety equipment are included along with personal attention from your expert guide. The meeting point for this guided kayaking tour is at the Hightide Kayak School in Bönigen, a short journey by public transport from Interlaken.
2. Interlaken Tandem Paragliding Flight
Experience a unique trip that you will remember forever – a paragliding flight with an experienced pilot from Beatenberg to Interlaken! Take a ride in an air-conditioned bus from Interlaken to Beatenberg and get a safety briefing and instructions before the flight. Following that, take a few steps with your pilot down a gently inclining slope before suddenly picking up in the air and soaring 800 meters above Interlaken. Experience the incredible feeling of gliding high above the beautiful Jungfrau region and enjoy the breathtaking views. After a 10 to 20-minute flight, land softly in the center of Interlaken. All necessary equipment, including mountain shoes, is provided, and you can even purchase photos taken by the pilot for an additional fee. Don’t miss the chance to have this exclusive paragliding flight while admiring the beautiful views from above!
3. Jungfraujoch Top of Europe Group Tour
Ascend to the Top of Europe on this full-day tour to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken. Starting from Interlaken Ost, you will travel by train to Grindelwald before taking the Eiger Express gondola and Jungfrau Railway up to Europe’s highest station. During the journey, you will soak up montane vistas and get the opportunity to explore attractions including the Sphinx Observation Deck and Ice Palace. You will also have free time to browse the shops and restaurants at the summit.
With your local guide’s insider knowledge, you will benefit from all admission fees and transfers included in the tour, avoiding any hidden costs. During the tour, you will be given a guided tour of the Jungfraujoch, including the Sphinx Ice-cave Alpine sensation. Please note that gratuities for the tour guide are welcome but food and drinks during the tour are not included.
Meeting point is in front of the ticket off at Interlaken Ost, where your local guide operated by Swiss Travel Guide will meet you. Don’t miss the chance to visit Europe’s highest railway station in this exciting and unforgettable tour.
4. Jungfraujoch Private Day Trip from Bern
Explore the stunning mountain of Jungfraujoch on this private day trip from Bern. Known as the “Top of Europe”, Jungfraujoch offers breathtaking views of the nearby Alps and mountain scenery. Begin the tour by meeting your guide at your hotel and traveling to the train station in Bern. Take an intercity train for 1 hour to Interlaken, then switch to a local train that will take you to Lauterbrunnen, a small village at the end of the valley. From there, ride the Jungfrau railway with reserved seats to reach the top of the mountain at an elevation of 3466 meters (11371 ft) above sea level. Enjoy a guided sightseeing tour at the “Top of Europe” and admire the scenic views. The tour includes taxes, fees, transportation, entrance fees, and a professional guide for your party only. However, food and drinks as well as personal expenses are not included. Please note that this tour is not suitable for individuals with heart problems. This is a fantastic opportunity to experience one of Switzerland’s most iconic destinations in the company of your private guide.
5. Interlaken Boat Day Pass on Lake Thun
Experience the stunning beauty of Interlaken with the Interlaken Boat Day Pass on Lake Thun. Enjoy the majestic mountain vistas of the Jungfrau Region as you glide over the emerald waters of Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. With a customizable itinerary, you can explore popular attractions like St. Beatus Caves, Giessbach Falls or the many castles around the lakes at your own pace. Depart from Thun, Interlaken West, Interlaken East (Ost) or Brienz to start your adventure. Spend your day making as many trips as you like along the routes around the lakes while taking in the picturesque chalet villages and eternally white mountain summits. Don’t miss this opportunity to discover the beauty of Interlaken with the Interlaken Boat Day Pass on Lake Thun.
6. Private Guided Tour to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Including Trummelbach Waterfalls and Wengen
Discover the majesty of the Swiss Alps on an 8-hour private guided tour to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken. Explore the Swiss Alps with a private guide and customize your tour to hit the highlights you most want to see. Your journey starts as you travel through Lauterbrunnen to the pretty Alpine village of Wengen, home to the famous Lauberhorn downhill ski race each winter. From there, take the Jungfrau Railway through the Swiss Alps to Jungfraujoch and admire fine views over the soaring peaks. Once there, explore the ice cave or the Lindt chocolate shop, and take time to explore the Sphinx terrace, snow park, and Lindt’s chocolate world. All taxes, fees, and handling charges are included for your convenience. This tour is perfect for adventurers who want tailored Swiss Alps experiences.
Frequently Asked Questions About InterlakenInterlaken is a beautiful and charming Swiss town that is popular among tourists all year round. It is located in the heart of the Jungfrau region, surrounded by mountains, lakes, and breathtaking natural scenery. If you’re planning a trip to Interlaken, you may have some questions about the city. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions about Interlaken that will help you plan your trip better.
1. What is the best time to visit Interlaken?Interlaken is a great destination to visit all year round. However, the best time to visit largely depends on what you want to do in the city. Summer is the most popular time to visit Interlaken because the weather is nice, and there are plenty of outdoor activities to do such as hiking, paragliding, and rafting. If you’re a winter sports enthusiast, then visiting Interlaken between December and March is ideal as this is the time when the ski resorts in the surrounding mountains are open. However, keep in mind that winter in Interlaken can be quite cold.
2. What outdoor activities can I do in Interlaken?Interlaken is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. There’s a wide range of activities available, from hiking and cycling to paragliding and rafting. Some of the popular activities include:
- Hiking: There are plenty of hiking trails around Interlaken that offer amazing views of the surrounding mountains and lakes.
- Cycling: You can rent a bike and explore the city and its surroundings on two wheels.
- Paragliding: This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will give you a bird’s-eye view of Interlaken and its stunning natural scenery.
- Rafting: For adrenaline junkies, rafting on the River Lütschine is a must-do activity in Interlaken.
3. What are some must-see attractions in Interlaken?Interlaken is not only famous for its natural beauty but also has some cultural and historical landmarks that are worth a visit. Some of the must-see attractions in Interlaken include:
- Harder Kulm: Take a funicular ride to the top of Harder Kulm and enjoy panoramic views of Interlaken and its surroundings.
- Jungfraujoch: This is the highest railway station in Europe and offers breathtaking views of the Alps.
- St. Beatus Caves: These caves are located on the northern shore of Lake Thun and are famous for their limestone formations.
- Ballenberg Open-Air Museum: This museum showcases traditional Swiss architecture and rural life.
4. What is the currency used in Interlaken?The currency used in Interlaken is the Swiss Franc (CHF). Most shops, restaurants, and hotels accept credit cards, but it’s always advisable to carry some cash with you, especially if you plan to visit the smaller towns and villages around Interlaken.
5. Is English widely spoken in Interlaken?Yes, English is widely spoken in Interlaken, especially in the tourist areas. Majority of the locals will be able to speak English, so language should not be a barrier to communication in Interlaken.
6. What is the best way to get around Interlaken?Interlaken is a relatively small town, and you can easily explore it on foot. However, if you want to explore the surrounding towns and villages, then renting a car would be ideal. Alternatively, you can also use the public transportation system, which is efficient and well-connected.
7. What are some traditional Swiss dishes that I should try in Interlaken?Switzerland has a rich culinary tradition, and Interlaken has many restaurants that serve traditional Swiss dishes. Some of the dishes that you should try in Interlaken include:
- Fondue: A melted cheese dish that is served with bread and potatoes.
- Raclette: A dish that consists of melted cheese scraped onto potatoes, vegetables, and meats.
- Rösti: A Swiss potato dish that is served as a side dish to meat dishes.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in InterlakenInterlaken is a picturesque Swiss town located between two lakes in the heart of the Bernese Oberland region. It’s a popular tourist destination that has a whole lot to offer. If you’re visiting Interlaken for the first time, or if you’ve been there before and want to explore something new, this guide will help you plan your trip more effectively.
1. Take a Walking Tour of InterlakenThe best way to explore Interlaken is on foot. You can take a guided walking tour of the town to get a better understanding of its history and culture. There are different walking tours available, depending on your preferences. Some tours focus on the historical sites in the town, while others take you to the local markets and eateries.
2. Try the Local FoodInterlaken has a lot of local restaurants that serve traditional Swiss cuisine. Some must-try dishes include Rösti, Fondue, and Raclette. There are also local delicacies like Swiss chocolate and cheese that you must try. You can take a food tour of Interlaken to explore some of the best restaurants in town.
3. Explore the Jungfrau RegionInterlaken is located at the foot of the Jungfrau mountain range. The region is known for its stunning landscapes, and there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy here. You can take a scenic train ride to the top of Jungfraujoch, the highest railway station in Europe. You can also go skiing, snowboarding, or ice skating in the winter, or hiking, biking, or paragliding in the summer.
4. Visit the LakesInterlaken is located between two lakes – Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. You can take a boat tour of the lakes to enjoy the stunning scenery. There are also several beaches where you can relax, swim, or participate in water sports.
5. Shop for SouvenirsInterlaken has many souvenir shops where you can buy traditional Swiss products like Swiss watches, Swiss army knives, and Swiss chocolate. You can also find handmade crafts, local cheeses, and other unique products in the markets.
6. Visit the Local MuseumsInterlaken has several museums that showcase the history and culture of the region. The most popular ones are the Interlaken Historical Museum and the Jungfrau Park. There’s also a Swiss Chocolate Show where you can learn how Swiss chocolates are made.
7. Attend Local Events and FestivalsInterlaken has several events and festivals throughout the year. The most popular ones are the Interlaken Music Festival, the Interlaken Film Festival, and the Interlaken Christmas Market. These events are a great way to experience the local culture and have fun.
8. Take a Day Trip to Other Swiss CitiesInterlaken is well-connected by train to other Swiss cities like Bern, Zurich, and Lucerne. You can take a day trip to these cities to explore their history, culture, and landmarks.
Book Your Tour NowInterlaken is a beautiful town with a lot to offer. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, food, or outdoor activities, there’s something here for everyone. By following this guide, you can plan your trip more effectively and make the most of your time in Interlaken.
Table of Contents