Located in the northern part of Mauritius, Grand Baie is a charming seaside town that is popular with tourists for its picturesque beaches, lively nightlife, and bustling shopping scene. Known for its crystal clear waters and gorgeous coral reefs, Grand Baie is a paradise for water sports enthusiasts and beach lovers. But there is more to this tropical destination than just sun, sand, and sea. From cultural landmarks to adventure activities, Grand Baie offers something for everyone. In this blog post, we have curated a list of the best attractions and things to do in Grand Baie that will help you make the most of your visit to this stunning destination. So, grab a pen and paper and start taking notes!
The 2 Best Day Trips in Grand Baie
- Trou Aux Cerfs Black River Gorges Rhumerie De Chamarel Private from Curepipe
- Trou Aux Cerfs Black River Gorges National Park and La Rhumerie De Chamare Day Trip from Curepipe
The 2 Best Day Trips in Grand Baie
1. Trou Aux Cerfs Black River Gorges Rhumerie De Chamarel Private from Curepipe
Discover the natural beauty of Mauritius on a private tour from Curepipe. Witness the volcanic landscape at Trou aux Cerfs, and explore the lush forests of Black River Gorges National Park. Learn about the local rum-making process, and sample a range of ‘agricultural’ rums at the Rhumerie de Chamarel distillery. Enjoy an included lunch featuring local cuisine, with convenient pickup and drop-off at your Curepipe hotel. This private tour ensures personalized service and the flexibility to explore at your own pace. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to experience the best of Mauritius.
2. Trou Aux Cerfs Black River Gorges National Park and La Rhumerie De Chamare Day Trip from Curepipe
This tour offers a unique opportunity to explore the diverse natural beauty of Mauritius and learn about the local culture and crafts. The day begins with a visit to the Trou aux Cerfs volcanic crater, where you can take in stunning views of the Grand Bassin crater lake. Next, you’ll head to the Black River Gorges National Park for some wildlife-watching and a chance to see the Seven Colored Earths and Chamarel Waterfalls.
Afterward, the tour takes you to La Rhumerie de Charamel, a local rum distillery where you can enjoy a guided tour and tasting. Finally, the day ends with a visit to a glass blowing factory where you can witness the artisans at work.
Throughout the day, your professional guide will share information and fun facts about Mauritius, making this tour both informative and enjoyable. Hassle-free round-trip transport from coastal hotels is included, as well as snacks and drinks. Pick-up is available from all hotels in Mauritius (except lodges/apartments/bungalows) starting at 9:00 AM. Don’t miss this chance to experience the best attractions and things to do in Grand Baie!
Visiting Grand Baie: Frequently Asked Questions
Grand Baie, located on the Northern coast of Mauritius, is a popular tourist destination. As a result, there are many questions that tourists may have before visiting. In this blog post, we’ll cover the most frequently asked questions about Grand Baie and provide you with all the information you need for a wonderful trip.
1. What’s the Best Time to Visit Grand Baie?
The best time to visit Grand Baie is from May to December when the weather is dry and comfortable for outdoor activities. Summers (January to April) can be quite hot and humid, with occasional rain showers. December and January are peak seasons in Grand Baie, and it can get crowded during this time.
2. What are the Must-Visit Attractions in Grand Baie?
Grand Baie is known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and vibrant nightlife. Here are some of the must-visit attractions in Grand Baie:
- Pereybere Beach
- Grand Baie Beach
- Mont Choisy Beach
- La Cuvette Beach
- Grand Bay Coeur de Ville
- SSR Botanic Garden
- L’Aventure du Sucre
- Grand Baie Bazaar
3. How Can I Get around Grand Baie?
Getting around Grand Baie is easy. You can hire a local taxi, rent a car or a motorbike, or take a bus. Taxis can be quite expensive, so it is advisable to negotiate a fare before getting into the taxi. Car rentals can be arranged in advance or on arrival, and a valid driver’s license is required. Buses are the cheapest mode of transport and run frequently, but they can be overcrowded during peak hours.
4. What are the Best Places to Eat in Grand Baie?
Grand Baie has a vibrant food scene, and there is no shortage of restaurants and cafes to choose from. Here are some of the best places to eat in Grand Baie:
- Le Pescatore
- Le Capitaine Restaurant
- La Terrasse
- Le Cafe des Arts
- L’Assiette du Nord
5. What Should I Wear in Grand Baie?
Grand Baie has a laid-back, casual atmosphere, and light, breathable clothing is recommended. Loose-fitting cotton clothes are ideal for the hot and humid climate. Swimwear is acceptable at the beach or by the pool, but should not be worn in public areas. Mosquito repellent is also recommended.
6. What are the Local Customs and Etiquette in Grand Baie?
The people of Mauritius are warm and friendly, and it’s important to show respect for their customs and etiquette. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Greeting someone with a smile and a handshake is common practice.
- Remove shoes before entering a home or temple.
- Respect religious monuments and places of worship.
- Avoid public displays of affection.
- Do not take photos of people without their permission.
7. What is the Currency Used in Grand Baie?
The currency used in Mauritius is Mauritian Rupee (MUR). It is important to have some local currency on hand as many small shops and restaurants do not accept credit or debit cards. ATMs are widely available throughout Grand Baie.
8. What are the Best Souvenirs to Buy in Grand Baie?
If you’re looking for souvenirs to take back home, Grand Baie has several shops and markets to choose from. Here are some of the best souvenirs to buy in Grand Baie:
- Local spices and tea
- Handmade crafts and jewelry
- Locally produced rum and sugarcane products
- Authentic Mauritian clothes and textiles
- Traditional souvenirs like keychains, magnets, and postcards
9. Is Grand Baie Safe for Tourists?
Grand Baie is generally a safe destination for tourists, but it’s important to take precautions like anywhere else. Keep valuables like cash, passports, and electronic devices in a safe place. Avoid walking alone at night or leaving drinks unattended at bars. Be aware of your surroundings and take necessary safety measures.
10. What Should I Know About the Language Spoken in Grand Baie?
The official language of Mauritius is English, and it is widely spoken in Grand Baie. However, the local language is Mauritian Creole, which has its roots in French and other African languages. Most locals speak a little bit of French, and some also speak Hindi or Chinese.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Grand Baie
Grand Baie, located in the northern part of Mauritius, is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, nightlife, and water sports. If you’re planning a trip to Grand Baie, here’s a guide to help you make the most of your time there.
1. Relax on the BeachThe beaches in Grand Baie are the main attraction for many visitors. The crystal clear waters and soft sand make it an ideal spot to soak up the sun and enjoy the ocean breeze. La Cuvette Beach is one of the most popular beaches in the area, offering a serene setting and uninterrupted views of the ocean. For those looking for more adventure, Pereybere Beach is great for snorkeling and scuba diving
2. Explore the Local MarketsBrowse through the colorful streets of Grand Baie and discover the local markets. You can find souvenirs, local handicrafts, and fresh fruits and vegetables. The Grand Bay Bazaar is the most popular market, where you can find a variety of goods at affordable prices. Don’t forget to bargain with the vendors for a better deal!
3. Discover the Local CuisineMauritius is known for its delicious cuisine, combining Indian, Chinese, and African flavors. In Grand Baie, you can find a variety of restaurants serving local dishes such as biryani, rougaille, and seafood. Le Capitaine restaurant offers a unique experience, where you can enjoy your meal on a traditional wooden boat while admiring the sunset.
4. Try Water SportsGrand Baie is a water sports paradise, offering a variety of activities such as parasailing, jet skiing, and water skiing. For those looking to explore the underwater world, scuba diving and snorkeling are also popular options. You can find many tour operators offering these activities at affordable prices.
5. Visit the Local AttractionsGrand Baie has many local attractions worth exploring. The L’Aventure du Sucre museum is a must-visit, offering a glimpse into the history of the sugar industry in Mauritius. The Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden is also worth a visit, offering a variety of exotic plants and wildlife.
6. Enjoy the NightlifeGrand Baie has a vibrant nightlife scene, with many bars and clubs open until late. The Banana Beach Club is a popular spot, offering live music and a beach party vibe. The Buddha Bar and Lounge is a great choice for those looking for a more relaxed atmosphere.
7. Take a Day TripGrand Baie is located near many other popular tourist destinations in Mauritius. You can take a day trip to Port Louis, the capital city, and explore the local markets and historical sites. The Pamplemousses Botanical Garden and the Black River Gorges National Park are also worth a visit.
Book Your Tour NowGrand Baie offers something for everyone, from the stunning beaches to the vibrant nightlife. Follow this guide to make the most of your time in this beautiful part of Mauritius. Don’t forget to bring your camera, sunscreen, and a sense of adventure!
Table of Contents