Fox Glacier is a small town located on the west coast of New Zealand’s South Island, named after the stunning glacier that spills down from the Southern Alps. The serene landscape of this region is nothing short of breathtaking, featuring snow-covered mountains, lush green forests, and icy-blue glaciers that will leave you awestruck. This picturesque destination has plenty of exciting attractions and experiences to offer visitors, from thrilling outdoor adventures to relaxing scenic walks. In this post, we will take a closer look at the best attractions and things to do in Fox Glacier that will help you make the most of your visit to this stunning location.
The 2 Best Fun Activities In Fox Glacier
- Fox Glacier 4 Hour Hike and Scenic Helicopter Experience
- Fox Glacier Scenic Helicopter Flight With Snow Landing
The 2 Best Fun Activities In Fox Glacier
1. Fox Glacier 4 Hour Hike and Scenic Helicopter Experience
Enjoy a thrilling hiking and helicopter experience on Fox Glacier. Marvel at the dramatic landscapes from above including spectacular ice caves, icefalls, and Victoria Falls, which is the melted river from the hidden Victoria glacier. Your experience includes two helicopter flights, an expert guide, ground transport, leather boots and socks, crampons, walking poles, wet weather jacket, and overtrousers. Hotel pickup and drop-off, as well as food and drinks, are also provided. During the three-hour hike on the ice, you’ll see ever-changing ice formations and receive informative commentary from an expert local guide. Please note that this tour is not suitable for children under 9 years, wheelchair users, or people over 254 lbs (115 kg). Enjoy a unique scenic flight over Fox Glacier and a thrilling hike over the remarkable ice formations on this unforgettable tour.
2. Fox Glacier Scenic Helicopter Flight With Snow Landing
Journey into the Southern Alps for a unique 20-minute scenic flight with a snow landing over the Fox Glacier. Start your adventure at the helicopter base in Fox Glacier Township where you will be greeted by your expert pilot-guide. Marvel at panoramic views over the town and surrounding landscapes before heading towards the Fox Glacier. Fly over dramatic ice falls and deep crevasses and enjoy commentary from your pilot-guide throughout your tour.
Descend for a snow landing and take in your surroundings in this winter wonderland. Breathe in the clean alpine air and take photos before joining your pilot in the return flight back to the Fox Glacier. Along the way, enjoy the magnificent, panoramic views of the Southern Alps. Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience!
Frequently Asked Questions About Fox GlacierIf you plan to visit Fox Glacier, New Zealand, you might have many questions about the area, the weather, the best things to do, and how to prepare for your trip. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions by tourists about Fox Glacier.
1. What is Fox Glacier?Fox Glacier is a glacier located in the West Coast region of New Zealand’s South Island. It is part of the Westland Tai Poutini National Park and is one of the most accessible glaciers in the world. The glacier flows from the Southern Alps and ends at an altitude of around 300 meters above sea level.
2. How do I get to Fox Glacier?Fox Glacier is about a 5-hour drive from Christchurch and a 3-hour drive from Queenstown. You can also reach Fox Glacier by bus or shuttle from nearby towns or cities. There is also a small airport in Fox Glacier with flights from several locations in New Zealand.
3. When is the best time to visit Fox Glacier?The best time to visit Fox Glacier is during the summer months of December to February when the weather is mild and the daylight hours are longer. However, it is important to note that the weather in this region is unpredictable and can change quickly, so it is always a good idea to check the weather forecast before making plans. Be prepared for rain and bring warm clothes and suitable footwear.
4. What are the best things to do in Fox Glacier?There are many exciting activities to do in Fox Glacier. You can take a guided glacier walk or heli-hike to explore the glacier, take a scenic flight to view the glacier and the surrounding mountains from above, go kayaking or stand-up paddleboarding on Lake Mapourika, hike one of the many walking tracks in the area, or relax in natural hot pools.
5. Do I need a guide to visit Fox Glacier?It is highly recommended to take a guided tour to visit Fox Glacier, especially if you plan to walk on the glacier. The glacier is constantly changing, and it can be dangerous to explore the area without a guide who knows the terrain and can lead you safely. There are several experienced tour operators in the area that offer guided tours.
6. Can I drive to the foot of the glacier?No, you cannot drive to the foot of the glacier. The access road leading to the glacier has been closed to vehicles due to the risk of rockfalls and flooding. Visitors must park at the nearby car park and walk along a well-marked trail to reach the glacier.
7. Is it safe to walk on Fox Glacier?Walking on the glacier can be dangerous, especially for inexperienced visitors. It is highly recommended to take a guided tour with an experienced guide who knows the terrain and can assess the risks. The weather can also change quickly on the glacier, so visitors must be prepared for unexpected weather changes.
8. Are there any accommodation options in Fox Glacier?Yes, there are several accommodation options in Fox Glacier, including hotels, motels, lodges, and holiday parks. It is recommended to book in advance, especially during the peak season, as accommodation options can be limited.
9. Can I see the glacier without taking a tour?Yes, you can still see the glacier without taking a tour. There are several marked viewing points along the walking trail leading to the glacier, which offer great views of the glacier and the surrounding mountains. Visitors can also take a scenic flight to view the glacier from above.
10. Can I visit Fox Glacier in winter?Yes, you can visit Fox Glacier in winter, but it is important to note that the weather can be harsh and unpredictable during this time. The access road leading to the glacier may also be closed due to snow and ice, and some tours may not operate during the winter months. Visitors must be prepared for the cold weather and bring appropriate clothing and gear. In conclusion, Fox Glacier is a beautiful and unique destination that offers many exciting activities and experiences for visitors. By taking the necessary precautions and planning ahead, you can have a safe and enjoyable trip to Fox Glacier.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Fox GlacierAre you planning a trip to Fox Glacier and wondering what to do while you’re there? Look no further, as we’ve got you covered. In this guide, we’ll go over the best activities, sights, and experiences that you can have as a tourist in Fox Glacier.
1. Explore the GlacierFox Glacier is one of the most popular tourist destinations in New Zealand, and for good reason. The glacier itself is a stunning natural wonder that is a must-see for any visitor. You can take a guided tour of the glacier, which will allow you to hike through the ice formations and experience the unique beauty of this frozen wonderland.
2. Visit the Fox Glacier LookoutIf you prefer to admire the glacier from a distance, the Fox Glacier Lookout is the perfect spot to take in the stunning views. The lookout is located just a short walk from the town center and offers a panoramic view of the glacier and the surrounding mountains.
3. Take a Helicopter TourFor a truly breathtaking experience, take a helicopter tour of the glacier and surrounding areas. You’ll get a bird’s eye view of the stunning scenery and have the opportunity to land on the glacier for a closer look.
4. Explore the Fox Glacier Valley TrailThe Fox Glacier Valley Trail is a scenic hiking trail that winds through the valley and offers stunning views of the glacier and surrounding mountains. The trail is well-maintained and suitable for hikers of all skill levels.
5. Go SkydivingFor the ultimate adrenaline rush, try skydiving in Fox Glacier. You’ll get a bird’s eye view of the glacier and surrounding mountains as you soar through the air.
6. Visit Lake MathesonLake Matheson is a picturesque lake that offers stunning reflections of the surrounding mountains. The lake is located just a short drive from Fox Glacier and is a popular spot for photography and hiking.
7. Take a Scenic FlightIf you prefer to see the sights from the comfort of a plane, take a scenic flight over the glacier and surrounding areas. You’ll get a unique perspective on the stunning scenery and have the opportunity to take some amazing photos.
8. Go Horseback RidingFor a more relaxed way to enjoy the stunning scenery, try horseback riding in Fox Glacier. You’ll get to explore the area at a leisurely pace and see some of the hidden gems that are off the beaten path.
9. Visit the West Coast Wildlife CentreThe West Coast Wildlife Centre is a must-visit for any animal lover. The center is home to a variety of native New Zealand animals, including the iconic kiwi bird. You can take a guided tour of the center and even watch as the kiwi birds are fed.
10. Relax in the Hot PoolsAfter a day of exploring, unwind in the hot pools at the Glacier Hot Pools. The pools are filled with natural spring water and offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
Book Your Tour NowFrom exploring the glacier itself to relaxing in the hot pools, there is no shortage of things to do in Fox Glacier. Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or prefer a more relaxed pace, there is something for everyone. Be sure to include these top activities in your itinerary to make the most of your time in Fox Glacier.
Table of Contents