Mysore, also known as the cultural capital of Karnataka, India, is a vibrant city that boasts a rich history and a cultural heritage that dates back to several centuries. Home to majestic palaces, serene temples, beautiful gardens, and a bustling bazaar, Mysore has something for everyone. Whether you are a history buff or a nature lover, this city has plenty of attractions and things to do that will leave you mesmerized. Get ready to explore the best of Mysore as we take you on a journey through its must-visit attractions and experiences.
The 2 Best Fun Activities to Do in Mysore
The 2 Best Fun Activities to Do in Mysore
1. Mysore Private Excursion With Lunch from Bangalore
In this private excursion to Mysore, benefit from an English-speaking guide who will take you on a tour to explore one of the most beautiful cities in India. The tour will start early in the morning, around 6:15AM, when your chauffeur will pick you up from your Bangalore hotel and drive you to meet and greet with your local guide.
Upon arrival in Mysore, you will visit the Mysore Royal Palace, also known as Amba Vilas Palace, located in the heart of the city. It is a fine example of Indo-Saracenic style of architecture and once the residence of Wodeyer Maharaja of Mysore. The palace has been converted into a museum that exhibits souvenirs, paintings, jewellery, royal costumes and other items which were once possessed by the Wodeyars.
After touring the palace, you will enjoy lunch at a local restaurant which serves a fixed menu. Later, you will visit Philomena’s Cathedral church, one of the largest and most majestic churches in India. Dedicated to Saint Philomena, a 3rd-century saint from Greece, the church is a beautiful example of neo-Gothic architecture and houses a crypt with a statue of the saint.
After exploring the church, your guide will take you for a stroll around the local market where you can shop for souvenirs, handicrafts, and traditional Mysore silk saris. Your private excursion to Mysore ends with drop-off at your Bangalore hotel in the evening.
2. Mysore Day Excursion With Lunch from Bangalore
In this day excursion from Bangalore, you will admire the marvelous architecture of Mysore Palace, a museum exhibiting antiques, alluring paintings, precious jewelry, and royal costumes once possessed by the Wodeyars. Guided by an English-speaking guide, you will learn about the palace’s history and the different styles involved in its construction. Additionally, you will visit Philomena’s Cathedral church and let yourself be enlightened by the knowledge of your guide. This convenient same-day trip from Bangalore to Mysore is perfect for those who want to make the most out of their time and explore the city’s highlights.
Frequently Asked Questions about MysoreMysore, also known as Mysuru, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Located in the southern state of Karnataka, it is famous for its rich cultural heritage, magnificent palaces, colorful markets, and delicious cuisine. It receives thousands of tourists every year from all over the world. In this blog post, we will answer some of the frequently asked questions about Mysore to help you plan your trip better.
1. What is the best time to visit Mysore?The best time to visit Mysore is during the winter months, from October to February. The weather during these months is pleasant, with temperatures ranging from 10°C to 30°C. It is also the peak tourist season, and you can expect larger crowds at popular tourist attractions.
2. How can I reach Mysore?Mysore has good connectivity with other major cities in India. If you are traveling by air, the nearest airport is the Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, which is around 170 km away from Mysore. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Mysore. If you are traveling by train, Mysore Junction Railway Station is well connected with major cities in India.
3. What are the top tourist attractions in Mysore?Mysore has a lot to offer to tourists, from magnificent palaces to serene gardens. The top tourist attractions in Mysore are:
i. Mysore Palace
Mysore Palace, also known as the Amba Vilas Palace, is one of the most magnificent palaces in India. Built in the Indo-Saracenic style, it was the official residence of the Wodeyar dynasty. The palace has beautiful gardens, intricate carvings, and a stunning Durbar Hall.
ii. Brindavan Gardens
Brindavan Gardens is a beautiful garden situated at the Krishna Raja Sagar Dam. It is famous for its musical fountains, which are a visual treat for the spectators. The garden also has a boating facility, which is quite popular among tourists.
iii. Chamundi Hill
Chamundi Hill is a popular pilgrimage site in Mysore. Located at a height of 1,060 meters, it offers a panoramic view of the city. The hill has a temple dedicated to Chamundeshwari, the goddess of Mysore.
iv. St. Philomena’s Cathedral
St. Philomena’s Cathedral is one of the largest cathedrals in India. Built in the Gothic style, it has beautiful stained glass windows and a majestic tower.
4. What is the local cuisine in Mysore?Mysore is famous for its delicious cuisine, which is a blend of Kannada and Udupi cuisines. The popular dishes of Mysore are:
i. Masala Dosa
Masala Dosa is a crispy rice and lentil crepe filled with spicy potato filling. It is served with coconut chutney and sambar.
ii. Mysore Pak
Mysore Pak is a popular sweet dish made with gram flour, sugar, and ghee. It is a must-try when in Mysore.
iii. Bisibele Bath
Bisibele Bath is a spicy rice dish made with lentils and vegetables. It is served with boondi, raita, and potato chips.
5. Where can I shop in Mysore?Mysore is famous for its silk sarees, sandalwood products, and handicrafts. The popular shopping destinations in Mysore are:
i. Devaraja Market
Devaraja Market is a colorful and vibrant market that sells a variety of products, including spices, fruits, and vegetables.
ii. Government Silk Weaving Factory
Government Silk Weaving Factory is where you can buy authentic Mysore silk sarees. You can also see the process of silk weaving here.
iii. Cauvery Handicrafts Emporium
Cauvery Handicrafts Emporium sells a variety of handicrafts made by local artisans. You can buy sandalwood products, wooden toys, and other souvenirs here.