Welcome to Runaway Bay, Jamaica, a scenic town boasting pristine beaches, crystal-clear waters, and an abundance of exciting activities. From water sports and golfing to cultural tours and tantalizing cuisine, Runaway Bay offers a fantastic variety of attractions and things to do. Whether traveling solo, with family, or on a romantic getaway, this tropical paradise has something for everyone. In this guide, we’ll take you on a journey through the best attractions and activities that this Caribbean gem has to offer. So sit back, grab a cold drink, and let’s explore the wonders of Runaway Bay together!
The 2 Best Fun Stuff To Do In Runaway Bay
- Dunns River Falls from Runaway Bay
- Blue Hole Plus Secret Falls and Dunns River Falls Combo from Runaway Bay Hotels
The 2 Best Fun Stuff To Do In Runaway Bay
1. Dunns River Falls from Runaway Bay
With convenient hotel pickup and drop-off from your Runaway Bay hotel, this tour to Dunns River Falls is a great way to explore the area without the hassle of driving or directions. Travel in comfort in an air-conditioned vehicle and learn about Jamaica’s ecosystem through guided commentary on the way to the falls. Once there, climb the terraced falls for stunning views and listen to more guided commentary on the local environment. Souvenir photos are available to purchase, and food and drinks are readily available. Don’t miss this must-see attraction and check it off your list while visiting Runaway Bay. Please note that this tour is not wheelchair accessible and children must be accompanied by an adult. Water shoes are also recommended.
2. Blue Hole Plus Secret Falls and Dunns River Falls Combo from Runaway Bay Hotels
Visit the best of Jamaica’s natural attractions during your stay in Runaway Bay. A visit to the Blue Hole Secret Falls and Dunn’s River Falls is a must-see for all nature lovers and first-time visitors. With a hassle-free round-trip transport from your hotel, travel comfortably in an air-conditioned coach with a knowledgeable guide to explain the highlights of Jamaica. The tour includes a stop for lunch (at your own expense) and the option to purchase souvenir photos. Don’t miss this activity-packed combo tour and explore Jamaica’s hidden gems stress-free.
Frequently Asked Questions About Runaway BayAs a beautiful and vibrant coastal town in Jamaica, Runaway Bay attracts many tourists every year. Visitors are drawn to the endless variety of attractions and activities offered by this beautiful city. However, many tourists have questions before they visit. Below are the most frequently asked questions about Runaway Bay.
What is Runaway Bay?Runaway Bay is a small town located on the northern coast of Jamaica. This town is well-known for its beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters, and vibrant nightlife. It is a popular tourist destination, but it still retains a relaxed and laid-back atmosphere.
What Are the Best Things to Do in Runaway Bay?There are endless possibilities in Runaway Bay. Visitors can take a dolphin tour, go golfing, indulge in some shopping, or simply relax on the beach. Some must-visit attractions in Runaway Bay include Dunns River Falls, Seven Mile Beach, and Martha Brae River. Additionally, Runaway Bay offers excellent nightlife, with several nightclubs and bars to explore.
What Are the Best Beaches in Runaway Bay?Runaway Bay is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Jamaica. With shimmering blue waters and white sandy beaches, it’s hard to pick just one. Some of the top beaches in Runaway Bay include Flavours, Cardiff Hall Beach, and Salem Beach.
What is the Weather Like in Runaway Bay?The weather in Runaway Bay is typically warm and sunny throughout the year. Temperatures usually range from the mid-70s to the mid-80s. If you’re visiting in the summer, be prepared for occasional showers and thunderstorms.
What is the Local Currency and What’s the Exchange Rate?Jamaica uses the Jamaican Dollar (JMD) as its currency, and the exchange rate fluctuates frequently. It’s best to check the exchange rate before your trip. US dollars and credit cards are widely accepted throughout Runaway Bay, but cash is still the preferred method of payment in many places.
What Language Do They Speak in Runaway Bay?The official language of Jamaica is English, but the locals often speak Patois, which is a Jamaican creole language. However, most people in Runaway Bay speak fluent English, so you shouldn’t have any trouble communicating while you’re there.
Is Runaway Bay Safe for Tourists?Runaway Bay is generally a safe city for tourists, but it’s always a good idea to take precautions. Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night, and avoid walking alone. Additionally, leave valuables in your hotel safe and take only what you need when you go out.
What Should I Pack for My Trip?When packing for your trip to Runaway Bay, make sure to pack for warm weather. Lightweight and breathable clothing, bathing suits, and sandals are all essentials. Additionally, bring sunscreen, bug spray, and a hat to protect you from the sun.
What’s the Best Way to Get Around Runaway Bay?There are several options for getting around Runaway Bay, including taxis, rental cars, and public transportation. Taxis are the most convenient option, and the prices are often reasonable. If you’re planning to do a lot of exploring, renting a car may be a good option.
What Currency Should I Bring With Me?Jamaican Dollars are the preferred currency in Runaway Bay, but US dollars and credit cards are widely accepted as well. However, it’s always a good idea to have some Jamaican currency on hand, especially if you plan to visit local markets or street vendors.
What are the Best Restaurants in Runaway Bay?Runaway Bay is home to some of the most delicious restaurants in Jamaica. Whether you’re in the mood for traditional Jamaican cuisine or international fare, there are plenty of options to choose from. Some top restaurants in Runaway Bay include Flavours Beach Bar and Restaurant, Sharkies Seafood Restaurant, and the Jerk Center.
What Are the Best Accommodations in Runaway Bay?When it comes to accommodations, Runaway Bay offers a diverse range of options. From luxurious beachfront resorts to cozy bed and breakfasts, there’s something for every traveler’s budget and preference. Some recommended accommodations include Franklyn D. Resort & Spa, Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica, and the Runaway Bay Heart Hotel.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Runaway BayIf you’re planning a trip to Runaway Bay, Jamaica, you’re in for a treat. This beautiful coastal town has so much to offer, from stunning beaches to delicious food to exciting activities. Here’s a guide on how to spend your time as a tourist in Runaway Bay.
1. Relax on the BeachOne of the main attractions of Runaway Bay is its gorgeous beaches. The water is clear and warm, the sand is soft and white, and the views are breathtaking. There are many beaches to choose from, including Cardiff Hall Beach, Flavours Beach, and Salem Beach. They all offer different experiences, so it’s worth exploring a few of them.
Here are some tips to make the most of your beach day:
- Bring sunscreen and reapply frequently to avoid getting burned.
- Bring a beach towel or rent a lounge chair, so you can relax comfortably.
- Bring snacks and drinks, or buy them from a beach vendor.
- Try snorkeling to see the colorful fish and coral reefs.
2. Visit Green Grotto CavesGreen Grotto Caves is a natural wonder located just outside of Runaway Bay. These limestone caves were once used as a hideout for runaway slaves and later as a filming location for James Bond movies. Today, visitors can take a guided tour of the caves to learn about their history and see the stunning stalactites and stalagmites.
Here are some tips for visiting Green Grotto Caves:
- Wear comfortable shoes with good traction, as the caves can be slippery.
- Bring a light jacket, as the caves can be cool and damp.
- Be respectful of the caves and the tour guide by not touching the formations.
- Take your time and enjoy the beauty of the caves.
3. Go on a Boat TourAnother great way to experience Runaway Bay is by going on a boat tour. There are many companies that offer tours of the coast, including snorkeling and sunset cruises. This is a great way to see the beautiful scenery and marine life of the area, while also getting some fresh air and exercise.
Here are some things to keep in mind when booking a boat tour:
- Decide what type of tour you want, such as a snorkeling tour or a sunset cruise.
- Check the weather forecast to make sure it’s a good day for a boat tour.
- Wear a swimsuit and bring a towel, as you’ll likely get wet.
- Listen to the tour guide’s instructions and safety tips.
4. Experience Jamaican Food and CultureJamaica is known for its delicious and spicy cuisine, as well as its vibrant culture. There are many restaurants and markets in Runaway Bay where you can sample Jamaican food and learn about its history and traditions.
Here are some dishes and experiences you should try:
- Jerk chicken, which is marinated in spicy seasonings and cooked on a grill.
- Ackee and saltfish, which is Jamaica’s national dish made with salted cod and a fruit called ackee.
- A visit to a local market, where you can buy fresh fruits, vegetables, and crafts.
- A reggae concert or dance party, which showcases Jamaica’s music and dance styles.
5. Play GolfIf you’re a fan of golf, Runaway Bay has some world-class courses that you should check out. The Jewel Runaway Bay Golf Course and the Runaway Bay Golf Club both offer beautiful landscapes and challenging holes.
Here are some tips for playing golf in Runaway Bay:
- Book your tee time in advance, especially during peak season.
- Bring your own clubs or rent them from the pro shop.
- Be respectful of other golfers by following proper etiquette.
- Enjoy the scenic views while you play.
Book Your Tour NowThere are so many things to do in Runaway Bay, Jamaica, whether you’re looking to relax on the beach, explore natural wonders, experience the local culture, or play golf. By following these tips and recommendations, you can make the most of your trip and create lasting memories. Don’t forget to take lots of pictures and try new things!
Table of Contents