Lagos, the largest city in Nigeria, is known for its vibrant culture, beautiful beaches, and bustling markets. Whether you’re a local or a tourist, there are plenty of things to do and see in this city. From exploring historical sites and wildlife reserves to indulging in delicious local cuisine and shopping, Lagos has something to offer everyone. In this post, we’ll take a look at some of the best attractions and things to do in Lagos, so you can make the most out of your visit to this amazing city.
The 2 Best Fun Things To Do In Lagos
- Olumo Rock and Obasanjo Presidential Library Tour
- Lagos by Yourself With English Chauffeur by Business Car or Luxury Suv
The 2 Best Fun Things To Do In Lagos
1. Olumo Rock and Obasanjo Presidential Library Tour
Explore the historic Olumo Rock and Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library on this private tour. Avoid the crowds and travel comfortably in an air-conditioned vehicle equipped with Wi-Fi. Your guide will tell you stories about the Egba warriors as you climb Olumo Rock. Stay energized with included snacks and discover books and artifacts at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library. The tour includes all fees and taxes, and ends back at the meeting point. Pickup is available upon request or you can head directly to the meeting point located at Sheraton Lagos Hotel.
2. Lagos by Yourself With English Chauffeur by Business Car or Luxury Suv
This chauffeured tour service provides a personalized and luxurious way to explore Lagos. With the option of half-day or full-day tours, travellers can meet their English-speaking driver at a location of their choice, be it for a self-guided sightseeing excursion, business outing or visit to the city’s renowned shopping districts. The tour offers comfortable travel in a Mercedes Business Car or a well-appointed SUV. The package includes a hotel pickup and drop-off, bottled water, and excludes gratuities and entrance fees. The pickup point is at Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos, Nigeria, and the start time can be confirmed upon booking.
Frequently Asked Questions by Tourists About Lagos CityLagos is a bustling and vibrant city in Nigeria, attracting tourists from all over the world. With its beautiful beaches, rich culture, and delightful cuisine, Lagos has a lot to offer. However, as with any foreign city, tourists often have questions about what to expect and how to make the most of their visit. In this blog post, we’ll cover some of the most commonly asked questions by tourists about Lagos.
1. Is Lagos Safe for Tourists?Safety is an important concern for all travelers, and Lagos is no exception. While there are some safety risks associated with traveling to Lagos, taking certain precautions can help ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. It is recommended for tourists to exercise caution, especially when visiting unfamiliar areas. Avoid walking alone at night, carry minimal cash, and keep valuables out of sight. Also, use a registered taxi or Uber for transportation and avoid taking taxis from the street to increase safety.
2. What is the Best Time to Visit Lagos?Lagos has a tropical climate and is warm year-round, so the right time to visit depends on personal preference. However, the best time to visit Lagos is during the drier months from November to March when the weather is cooler and more pleasant. June to September is the rainy season, and some areas may experience flooding during this time.
3. What are the Best Beaches in Lagos?Lagos is known for its beautiful beaches, and there are many great options to choose from. Some of the most popular beaches in Lagos include:
- Elegushi Beach
- Tarkwa Bay
- Eleko Beach
- Akodo Beach
- Bar Beach
4. What is the Local Currency in Lagos?The local currency in Lagos is the Nigerian Naira (NGN). The exchange rate can fluctuate, so it’s a good idea to check the exchange rate before arriving in Lagos. It is also important to note that credit cards are not widely accepted in Lagos, so it’s a good idea to carry cash. It’s recommended to exchange currencies at authorized dealers to avoid getting counterfeit Nigerian Naira.
5. What are the Must-See Attractions in Lagos?Lagos offers a range of interesting and exciting attractions for tourists to explore, we have highlighted some of the most popular ones below:
- National Museum Lagos
- The New Afrika Shrine
- Lekki Conservation Centre
- Fela Kuti’s House
- Terra Kulture
- The Nike Art Gallery
6. What are the Best Places to Stay in Lagos?Lagos has a wide range of accommodation options to suit different tastes and budgets. Some of the best areas to stay in Lagos include:
- Victoria Island
- Lekki Phase 1
- Ikeja GRA
7. What is the Local Cuisine in Lagos?Lagos has a rich and diverse culinary scene, with a range of traditional and modern dishes to try. Some of the most popular local dishes in Lagos include:
- Jollof rice
- Efo riro (vegetable soup)
- Suya (spicy meat skewers)
- Pounded yam and Egusi soup
- Africa Salad
8. What is the Local Language in Lagos?The official language in Lagos and Nigeria is English, but there are also many local languages spoken. Yoruba, Igbo, and Hausa are some of the most widely spoken Nigerian languages in Lagos.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Lagos
Lagos is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Nigeria, attracting millions of visitors every year. The state is renowned for its vibrant nightlife, beautiful beaches, and rich cultural heritage. If you’re planning a trip to Lagos, this guide will show you the best way to spend your time and make the most of your visit.
1. Explore the Beaches
The beaches in Lagos are some of the most beautiful in the country. The most popular beaches include Bar Beach, Elegushi Beach, Tarkwa Bay Beach, and Eleko Beach. These beaches are the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sun, sand, and sea. You can also try out various water sports like jet skiing, surfing, and parasailing.
2. Visit the National Museum
The National Museum in Lagos is an excellent place to learn about the history and culture of Nigeria. The museum houses a vast collection of artifacts, including traditional art, archaeological finds, and relics from the slave trade. It’s a great way to get a better understanding of Nigeria’s rich cultural heritage.
3. Go Shopping
Lagos is home to some of the best markets and shopping centers in Nigeria. The most popular markets include Balogun Market, Yaba Market, and Idumota Market. These markets sell everything from traditional crafts and textiles to modern designer clothes and accessories. You can also visit the various malls like The Palms, Ikeja City Mall, and Maryland Mall for a more modern shopping experience.
4. Experience the Nightlife
Lagos has a vibrant nightlife scene, with numerous bars, nightclubs, and lounges. The most popular nightlife spots include The Place, Quilox, Ember Creek, and Club 57, among many others. You can enjoy live music, delicious cocktails, and dance the night away.
5. Take a City Tour
If you want to explore Lagos more comprehensively, then taking a city tour is the perfect way to do so. You can join a guided tour or opt for a self-guided tour. Some of the must-visit sights include the Lagos Island, the National Theatre, the Lekki Conservation Center, and the Nike Art Gallery.
6. Try Out Local Cuisine
Lagos is well known for its delicious cuisine. You can try out various local delicacies, including Jollof rice, Efo riro, Pepper soup, Suya, and much more. The best way to experience the local cuisine is by visiting local restaurants and street food vendors.
7. Attend Cultural Events and Festivals
Lagos hosts numerous cultural events and festivals throughout the year. These events showcase the best of Nigerian culture, including music, art, fashion, and food. Some of the most popular events include the Lagos Carnival, the Lagos Fashion Week, and the Lagos International Poetry Festival.
8. Relax at a Spa
If you’re looking for a more relaxed experience, then Lagos has plenty of spas and wellness centers. You can enjoy massages, facials, and other spa treatments to rejuvenate your body and mind. Some of the best spas include the Oasis Medspa, The Wheatbaker Spa, and Clear Essence California Spa & Wellness Resort.
Book Your Tour Now
There are numerous ways to spend your time as a tourist in Lagos. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, nightlife, or the beaches, Lagos has everything you need to make your visit unforgettable. By following this guide, you’ll be able to explore the best that Lagos has to offer and have an incredible vacation.
Table of Contents