How to Discover the Best of Zurich on a Highlights TourIf you’re short on time and want to experience the vibrant city of Zurich, then the Zurich Highlights Tour is perfect for you. This comprehensive 2-hour coach tour takes you through the city’s top landmarks and attractions led by a knowledgeable guide. Here’s all you need to know to plan your Zurich Highlights Tour.
Overview of the TourThe Zurich Highlights Tour takes you on a scenic ride through the city’s most famous landmarks and attractions. You’ll cruise past the 1.4-kilometer Bahnhofstrasse, one of the world’s most expensive shopping streets. As you admire the sophisticated street’s designer stores, your guide will tell you about its rich history. Next, you’ll catch a glimpse of Lake Zurich’s shimmering surface and listen to your guide’s illuminating commentary on its significance as an essential freshwater source for the city. You’ll then head to St Peter’s Church, a sacred landmark with a 900-year history, and see Switzerland’s largest clock face. The tour continues with a visit to the charming Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where you’ll be awed by the picturesque narrow streets and colorful buildings. As you explore, your guide will give you insights into Old Town’s history and architecture. Once you’ve toured the Old Town, you’ll move on to explore the noble Zürichberg district. Here, you’ll find stately mansions from glorious times past and convince yourself of the high standard of living available in Zurich. The tour ends with a trip to the Fraumünster, a 13th-century church with stunning stained glass windows designed by the famous artist Marc Chagall. Before heading back, you’ll have a chance to snap some photos for souvenir purposes.
Top Attractions to See in ZurichDuring the Zurich Highlights Tour, you’ll see many of Zurich’s top attractions. Here’s a rundown of the ones you’ll visit:
1. BahnhofstrasseBahnhofstrasse is one of Zurich’s most famous streets, and you’ll cruise past its designer stores on your Zurich Highlights tour. The street is home to some of the world’s most expensive retailers, including Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Chanel.
2. St Peter’s ChurchSt Peter’s Church is a sacred landmark in the heart of Zurich with a 900-year history. The church’s tower boasts Switzerland’s largest clock face, measuring 8.7 meters in diameter.
3. Old TownOld Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with picturesque narrow streets and colorful buildings. You’ll be amazed by the medieval architecture from the 16th and 17th centuries that have been preserved for centuries.
4. ZürichbergZürichberg is a noble district with stately mansions and impressive views of the city, including the famous Üetliberg mountain. Zürichberg is also home to several recreational areas, including forests and parks.
5. FraumünsterFraumünster is a 13th-century church in Zurich’s old town with exquisite stained glass windows by Marc Chagall. The church is an architectural masterpiece, and its stunning interiors are a must-see.
Why Choose the Zurich Highlights TourThe Zurich Highlights Tour is perfect for visitors who are short on time but want to see Zurich’s top attractions. The tour allows you to experience the city’s vibrant ambiance, rich culture, and history. You’ll also enjoy multiple stops for photo opportunities and get detailed explanations from your knowledgeable guide.
Tour Schedule and AvailabilityThe Zurich Highlights Tour is available in the morning and afternoon, making it convenient for travelers to schedule it around their day. The tour departs from Sihlquai Coach Terminal and lasts for approximately 2 hours.
Booking the TourTo book the Zurich Highlights Tour, visit Viator’s website at book the tour here. On the website, you can choose your preferred time slot and book the tour in advance to avoid disappointment.
Book Your Tour NowThe Zurich Highlights Tour is perfect for travelers who want to experience the best of Zurich in a short amount of time. During the tour, you’ll visit some of the city’s most famous landmarks and attractions, and learn about Zurich’s rich history and culture from your knowledgeable guide. Book your tour today and see why Zurich is one of the world’s most vibrant cities.
Frequently Asked Questions about Zurich
Zurich, the largest city and financial capital of Switzerland, is a popular tourist destination all year round. From its beautiful old town and world-class museums to its picturesque lake and snow-capped mountains, Zurich has something for everyone. Here are some frequently asked questions about Zurich that will help you plan your trip better!
1. What is the best time to visit Zurich?
Zurich is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit depends on your preference. Summer (June to August) is the peak tourist season, with warm temperatures and long days, and is perfect for exploring the city’s outdoor attractions. The shoulder seasons of spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) have fewer crowds and mild temperatures, making it easier to explore the city on foot. Winter (December to February) is cold but offers the charm of the city’s Christmas markets and winter sports on the nearby mountains.
2. How do I get to Zurich?
Zurich has one of Europe’s busiest airports, Zurich Airport (ZRH), which is well connected to major cities around the world. The airport is only 10 kilometres from the city centre and is easily accessible by train, tram or bus. You can also reach Zurich by train from other Swiss cities or from neighbouring countries.
3. Do I need a visa to visit Zurich?
Switzerland is part of the Schengen visa agreement, which allows visitors from many countries to enter Switzerland for up to 90 days without a visa. However, it is best to check the Swiss government’s visa requirements website to see if you need a visa for your stay.
4. Where should I stay in Zurich?
The city has a range of accommodation options, from luxury hotels and boutique properties to budget hostels and apartments. The best areas to stay in Zurich are the Old Town (Altstadt), the trendy Kreis 5 neighbourhood or by the picturesque Lake Zurich. You can also stay in nearby towns such as Winterthur or Zug and take the train into Zurich for day trips.
5. What are the must-see attractions in Zurich?
Zurich has many must-see attractions, including:
- The Lindenhof Hill with panoramic views of the old town
- The Grossmünster, a 13th-century cathedral
- The Kunsthaus Zurich, a world-class art museum
- The Swiss National Museum, which showcases the country’s history and culture
- The Fraumünster Church, famous for its stained-glass windows painted by Marc Chagall
- The Lake Zurich, where you can take a boat ride or go for a swim
- The Bahnhofstrasse, one of Europe’s most expensive shopping streets
- The Uetliberg mountain, which offers panoramic views of Zurich and the Alps
6. What are some of the outdoor activities I can do in Zurich?
Zurich is a great place for outdoor activities, including:
- Hiking or cycling in the nearby mountains
- Sailing or swimming in Lake Zurich
- Walking or jogging along the Limmat River
- Skiing or snowboarding in nearby ski resorts such as Flumserberg or Engelberg
7. What is the food like in Zurich?
Zurich has a unique culinary scene with traditional Swiss dishes such as fondue and raclette, as well as international cuisine. Some of the must-try foods are:
- Zürigschnätzlets, a veal stew with a cream sauce
- Zopf, a traditional Swiss bread
- Rösti, a potato dish served with various toppings
- Birchermüesli, a Swiss-style breakfast cereal
- Chocolate, Zurich is also renowned for its chocolate and you can find many chocolate shops and cafes in the city.
8. Is Zurich an expensive city?
Zurich is one of Europe’s most expensive cities, and prices for accommodation, dining, and shopping can be high. However, there are also budget-friendly options available, such as hostels and street food stalls. Many museums and galleries offer free admission on certain days, and public transportation is efficient and reasonably priced.
9. What is the public transportation like in Zurich?
Zurich has an excellent public transportation system with buses, trams, and trains that operate regularly and cover the entire city. You can buy a Zurich Card, which gives unlimited travel on public transportation and discounts on attractions and restaurants.
10. What are some day trips I can take from Zurich?
Zurich is surrounded by beautiful towns and landscapes that are perfect for day trips, including:
- Lucerne, a picturesque town on Lake Lucerne
- Rhine Falls, Europe’s largest waterfall
- Mount Titlis, a snow-capped mountain with panoramic views of the Alps
- St. Gallen, a medieval town with a UNESCO-listed abbey library
- Chur, the capital of the Graubünden canton and a gateway to the Swiss Alps
With its rich history, stunning scenery, and diverse cultural offerings, Zurich offers something for all types of travellers. Hope this FAQ helped you plan your trip to Zurich better!
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in ZurichZurich is a beautiful and vibrant city located in Switzerland. With its stunning architecture, rich history, and diverse culture, it has a lot to offer to its visitors. Whether you are looking for art, culture, and food, or just want to enjoy the peaceful and scenic atmosphere, there is something for everyone in Zurich. Here are some of the top things to do and see while spending your time as a tourist in Zurich.
1. Explore the Old TownZurich’s Old Town (Altstadt) is a beautiful and charming area filled with historic buildings, narrow streets, and picturesque squares. Here, you can find many shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as some of the city’s most famous landmarks, such as the Great Church (Grossmünster), Fraumünster Church, and St. Peter’s Church, which houses one of the world’s largest clock faces.
Tip:Take a stroll along one of the many cobbled streets or alleys and appreciate the unique atmosphere of this medieval city.
2. Visit the MuseumsZurich is home to many museums and galleries, covering a wide range of topics from science to art. Some of the most popular ones include the Swiss National Museum, the Kunsthaus Zurich, and the Museum Rietberg, which has an impressive collection of art from around the world.
Tip:Check out the schedule beforehand, as some of the museums offer free admission on certain days of the week.
3. Take a Boat Tour on Lake ZurichLake Zurich is a beautiful and serene lake located in the heart of the city. One of the best ways to enjoy its scenic views is by taking a boat tour. These tours usually last around an hour and offer stunning views of the city’s landmarks from the water.
Tip:Go on a sunny day to fully appreciate the beauty of the lake and its surroundings.
4. Admire the Art InstallationsZurich is known for its many art installations and sculptures scattered throughout the city. From the giant Polybahn dragon, to the colorful umbrellas on Geroldstrasse, there is always something to admire.
Tip:Take a walking tour or download an art map to discover all the hidden treasures scattered throughout the city.
5. Try the Local CuisineZurich has a rich culinary culture, with many local dishes to try. Some of the most famous ones include the Zürcher Geschnetzeltes (sliced veal in a cream sauce) and the Swiss cheese fondue.
Tip:Visit the popular districts of Niederdorf and Hirschenplatz for a wide selection of restaurants and cafes serving traditional Swiss cuisine.
6. Go ShoppingZurich is a shopper’s paradise, with a wide range of stores and boutiques offering everything from luxury goods to handmade souvenirs. Some of the best shopping areas include Bahnhofstrasse, which is home to many high-end boutiques and department stores, and the trendy district of Kreis 5, which has many independent stores and galleries.
Tip:Visit Zurich during the annual sales period, which takes place in January and July, to get great deals on many items.
7. Enjoy the NightlifeZurich has a vibrant nightlife scene, with many bars, clubs, and music venues catering to all tastes. Some of the best areas for nightlife include Langstrasse, which is known for its trendy bars and clubs, and Niederdorf, which has a more relaxed and laid-back atmosphere.
Tip:Visit during the summer months to enjoy the many open-air bars and music events.
8. Go Hiking in the Swiss AlpsZurich is located near the Swiss Alps, which offer some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world. Take a day trip from Zurich and go hiking in the mountains, or visit one of the many ski resorts in the area and hit the slopes.
Tip:Make sure to wear comfortable hiking shoes and bring plenty of water and sunblock for the hike.
Book Your Tour NowZurich is a beautiful city that has a lot to offer to its visitors. From exploring the historic Old Town to admiring the art installations and enjoying the local cuisine, there is something for everyone in Zurich. Whether you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation or a vibrant and exciting experience, Zurich is definitely worth a visit. Use this guide to plan your itinerary and make the most of your time in this amazing city.
Table of Contents