Quito, the capital city of Ecuador, is a fascinating place with a rich heritage and culture. From the colonial architecture to the vibrant markets, there is something for everyone to explore. Among the many attractions scattered throughout the city, museums have a special place in preserving Ecuadorian history and showcasing local artistic talent. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best museums in Quito that you definitely won’t want to miss on your next visit. Get ready to embark on a journey through time and marvel at the beauty of Ecuador’s cultural heritage!
The 2 Most Visited Museums in Quito
- From Quito: Cable Car, Intiñan Museum, & Colonial Town Tour
- Quito: Private City Tour & Intiñam Museum Visit w/ Transfer
The 2 Most Visited Museums in Quito
1. From Quito: Cable Car, Intiñan Museum, & Colonial Town Tour
Discover the best highlights of Quito with this thrilling museums visit tour. Your adventure starts at the meeting point at “Plaza Foch” Hotel Nu House at 9:00 am. You’ll embark on an unforgettable cable car ride located in the foothills of the Pichincha Volcano, travelling through 160 hectares of stunning scenery with your professional English-speaking guide. At 4100 meters above sea level (12500 ft), you’ll reach the top and be amazed by the panoramic views of the eastern valleys old town south and north of Quito. Take plenty of photos and soak up the breathtaking views.
After the cable car ride, it’s off to the Intiñan Museum. Be fascinated by the impressive collection of exhibits from other places along the equator. With your friendly guide, explore the museum and stand in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres at the same time. It’s the perfect photo opportunity!
Conclude your museums visit tour by exploring the charming Colonial town. Your expert guide will take you to some of the most important sights and attractions in the city, all while sharing fascinating history along the way.
This extraordinary tour includes all entrance fees, private transportation, drinks and meals. Don’t miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure to discover the best highlights of Quito.
2. Quito: Private City Tour & Intiñam Museum Visit w/ Transfer
Explore the Intiñan Museum and be amazed by the unique experience of standing on the Northern and Southern Hemisphere at the same time. This museum, located at 0 degrees 0 minutes and 0 seconds, showcases displays of the different ethnic groups in Ecuador and their lifestyles, explained by a specialist tour guide. Don’t forget to have your photo taken with both feet on either side of the hemisphere line.
The visit starts with a trip to the Pululahua Volcano Viewpoint, where you can witness the breathtaking views of Quito. Afterward, your knowledgeable guide will safely take you through the charming streets of the Old Town, giving you a glimpse of the city’s rich history and culture.
This private city tour and museum visit combo is the perfect way to see the best of Quito in one go. With magnificent viewpoints, cultural immersion, and a unique hemisphere experience, this is one tour you don’t want to miss!
The Most Frequently Asked Questions About Museums in QuitoQuito, the capital of Ecuador, is known for its rich history and culture. It is home to many famous museums that showcase its art, history, and culture. If you are planning to visit Quito, you might have a few questions about its museums. We have compiled and answered the most frequently asked questions about museums in Quito to help you plan your trip.
What are the top museums in Quito?
Quito has many great museums that are worth visiting. Some of the top museums in Quito are:
- Museo Nacional del Banco Central del Ecuador: This museum is one of the most important museums in Quito. It showcases Ecuador’s archaeology, art, and culture from pre-Columbian times to the present. It also has a gold room that displays pre-Hispanic gold collected from different parts of the country.
- Museo Casa del Alabado: This museum houses one of the largest collections of pre-Columbian art in Ecuador. It has over 5,000 artifacts that date back to 3000 BC.
- Museo de la Ciudad: This museum displays the history of Quito from its pre-Columbian past to the present. It is located in a colonial building and has a beautiful courtyard.
- Museo Mindalae: This museum focuses on the indigenous cultures of Ecuador. It showcases their art, tools, and customs.
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Quito: This museum showcases contemporary art from Ecuador and other Latin American countries. It has a collection of over 3,000 pieces of art.
- Museo Interactivo de Ciencia: This museum is a great place for families with children. It has interactive exhibits on science and technology.
What are the opening hours of the museums in Quito?
The opening hours of museums in Quito vary. However, most museums are open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 AM to 5 PM. Some museums may have different opening hours on weekends, so it is best to check their websites before planning a visit.
What is the admission fee for museums in Quito?
The admission fee for museums in Quito varies. Some museums offer free admission, while others have an admission fee. The average admission fee for museums in Quito is around $5. However, some museums may charge more. It is best to check the museum’s website or contact them directly for information on admission fees.
Are there any free museums in Quito?
Yes, there are a few free museums in Quito. Some of them include:
- Museo del Carmen Alto: This museum is located in a colonial building and displays the life of the nuns who lived there.
- Museo Alberto Mena Caamaño: This museum is located in the Casa de la Cultura Ecuatoriana and showcases the life of Alberto Mena Caamaño, a famous Ecuadorian writer.
- Museo Etnohistórico de Artesanías del Ecuador Mindalae: This museum showcases the arts and crafts of Ecuador’s indigenous communities.
Can I take pictures inside the museums?
The policy regarding photography inside museums in Quito varies. Some museums allow photography without flash, while others may not allow it at all. It is best to check with the museum’s staff or website to know their policy regarding photography.
Are there guided tours available in museums in Quito?
Yes, guided tours are available in many museums in Quito. Some museums offer free guided tours, while others may charge a fee. It is best to check the museum’s website or contact them directly for information on their guided tours.
Can I bring children to the museums in Quito?
Yes, children are welcome in museums in Quito. However, some museums may have age restrictions for certain exhibits. It is best to check with the museum’s staff or website for information on age restrictions.
Are there any discounts available for students and senior citizens?
Yes, many museums in Quito offer discounts for students and senior citizens. The discount amount and requirements may vary for each museum. It is best to check with the museum’s staff or website for information on available discounts.
What is the best way to get to museums in Quito?
The best way to get to museums in Quito is by taxi, public transportation, or by foot. Most museums are located in the historic center of Quito, which is easily accessible by foot. However, if you are going to a museum located outside the historic center, it may be easier to take a taxi or public transportation.
Can I buy souvenirs in the museums in Quito?
Yes, many museums in Quito have gift shops that sell souvenirs. The souvenirs may include art reproductions, books, postcards, t-shirts, and other items related to the museum’s exhibits. It is a great way to support the museum and take home a unique souvenir from your trip to Quito.