Welcome to our guide to the best attractions and things to do in Colosseum! Located in the heart of Rome, the Colosseum is one of the most iconic landmarks in the world, drawing millions of visitors each year. Built nearly 2,000 years ago, the amphitheater was once a venue for gladiator contests, public spectacles, and animal hunts. Today, it remains one of the busiest tourist destinations in Rome and a passionate reminder of the city’s rich cultural heritage. In this post, we’ll take a close look at the best attractions within the Colosseum and help you plan your visit to this awe-inspiring piece of history.
The 2 Best Stuff To Do In Colosseum
- Colosseum Roman Forum Palatine Hill English Guided Tour
- 1 Hour Colosseum Tour With Skip the Line Entrance
The 2 Best Stuff To Do In Colosseum
1. Colosseum Roman Forum Palatine Hill English Guided Tour
Discover the treasures of Ancient Rome on a 2.5-hour walking guided tour of the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill. With your reserved ticket, you’ll gain VIP entrance to these magnificent historical sites. Begin your tour at Piazza Venezia and visit Campidoglio. Then access the Roman Forum through the dedicated VIP entrance and marvel at the stunning views. As you walk along the Sacred Road (Via Sacra) in the Roman Forum, you’ll immerse yourself in the history of this ancient civilization. Your tour includes a professional guide and you won’t need transportation to or from the attractions. Note that this tour is not suitable for wheelchair users. With this tour, you’ll gain valuable insight into the daily lives of Roman emperors and citizens.
2. 1 Hour Colosseum Tour With Skip the Line Entrance
Skip the long lines and enter one of the most popular Roman monuments, the Colosseum, for a 1-hour guided tour. With the help of a professional and passionate guide, you will learn about the civilization during the Flavian dynasty and how they built the largest amphitheater in the world.
Your guide will take you through the arena while explaining the history of the monument and introducing you to the people behind it. You will also hear about the gladiators who entertained the crowds and gain a better understanding of their lives.
Once the guided tour is over, you will have unlimited free time to explore the permitted sections of the Colosseum on your own. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience Ancient Rome and witness the grandeur of the Colosseum with your own eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions About ColosseumThe Colosseum is one of the most iconic landmarks in Rome and a must-visit for anyone who’s ever thought about traveling to Italy. As a result, many tourists have questions about what they can expect during their visit. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the Colosseum, along with some helpful answers:
1. What is the Colosseum?The Colosseum is a massive amphitheater located in the heart of Rome. It was originally built almost 2,000 years ago as part of a larger complex known as the Flavian Amphitheatre. The Colosseum was used for a variety of events, including gladiator battles, animal hunts, and public spectacles.
2. When is the best time to visit the Colosseum?The best time to visit the Colosseum is in the morning, right when it opens. This is generally around 8:30 am, but it can vary depending on the time of year. Visiting early has several advantages, including smaller crowds and cooler temperatures. It’s also important to note that the Colosseum is closed on certain holidays, so be sure to check the schedule before you plan your visit.
3. How long does a visit to the Colosseum take?A typical visit to the Colosseum takes around 1-2 hours, depending on how much time you want to spend exploring. Some visitors choose to hire a guide or take a tour, which can take longer.
4. How do I get tickets to the Colosseum?You can buy tickets for the Colosseum online, through a tour operator, or at the ticket office in person. We recommend buying tickets in advance, as the lines to buy tickets on site can be very long, especially during peak tourist season.
5. Can I bring food and drinks into the Colosseum?No, food and drinks are not allowed inside the Colosseum. However, there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby where you can grab a bite to eat or a drink.
6. Is the Colosseum accessible for people with disabilities?Yes, the Colosseum is accessible for people with disabilities. There are elevators and ramps to make the location easy to get around.
7. What is the best way to get to the Colosseum?The easiest way to get to the Colosseum is by public transport. You can take the metro to the Colosseum station or take a bus to one of the nearby stops. If you’re staying in central Rome, it’s also possible to walk to the Colosseum.
8. Is there a dress code for visiting the Colosseum?There isn’t an official dress code for visiting the Colosseum, but we recommend dressing appropriately for the weather and the activity. Most visitors opt for comfortable shoes and clothing that’s appropriate for walking around and exploring historic sites.
9. Can I take pictures inside the Colosseum?Yes, you can take pictures inside the Colosseum. However, tripods and professional photography equipment aren’t allowed without permission.
10. Are there any rules that visitors need to be aware of when visiting the Colosseum?Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when visiting the Colosseum. Smoking and vaping are not allowed inside the Colosseum or the surrounding area. There are also restrictions on items that are allowed inside, such as large bags or backpacks. Visitors should also be respectful of the site and avoid climbing on the walls or damaging any of the historic artifacts. Overall, visiting the Colosseum is a fascinating experience that offers a glimpse into the history of Rome. By planning ahead, following the rules, and being respectful of the site, visitors can enjoy a meaningful and memorable visit to this iconic landmark.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Colosseum
Rome is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, and a visit to the Colosseum is often at the top of every traveler’s list. The Colosseum is one of the most recognizable structures in the world and a symbol of ancient Rome’s architectural and engineering prowess. However, with so much history and beauty to take in, it can be challenging to decide how to spend your time as a tourist in Colosseum. In this post, we will provide a detailed guide to help you make the most of your time at Colosseum and ensure you leave with unforgettable memories.
Before You Arrive at Colosseum
Before you arrive at the Colosseum, there a few things you should consider doing to make your experience more enjoyable.
1. Purchase Your Tickets Online
The Colosseum is one of the most visited landmarks in Rome, and the lines to purchase tickets can be incredibly long. You can easily avoid the queue by purchasing your tickets in advance online. You can buy tickets directly from Colosseum’s official website or from authorized resellers. When you buy your tickets online, you get the benefit of skipping the ticket queue when you arrive, making your visit more time-efficient.
2. Plan Your Visit
The Colosseum is massive, and without proper planning, you might miss the most important things. Before you visit, plan which sections of the Colosseum you want to see and how much time you want to spend in each area. A guided tour can be helpful if you’re not familiar with the site, and it can provide you with valuable insights into its historical significance.
3. Dress Comfortably
When visiting the Colosseum, it’s essential to dress comfortably, especially if you plan to spend a lot of time exploring the site. Wear comfortable shoes, light clothing, and avoid heavy bags or backpacks.
Things to Do at Colosseum
The Colosseum has a lot to offer tourists, so it’s essential to have a clear idea of what you want to see before arriving.
1. Visit the Arena Floor
The arena floor is the most iconic part of the Colosseum, where all the gladiatorial fights took place. When you visit the arena, you should have a guide to provide you with detailed information about the site’s history. The Colosseum offers an arena floor tour where you can walk on the same floor as gladiators once did. This tour includes access to the underground level of the Colosseum and provides insight into the life of gladiators at the time.
2. Explore the Hypogeum
The Hypogeum is the underground level of the Colosseum, where gladiators and animals were kept before fight time. You can explore the labyrinthian tunnels, the pulleys, and the lift systems that were used to elevate animals, fighters, and props to the arena floor.
3. Visit the First Three Floors of the Colosseum
The Colosseum has three levels accessible to the public, and each level has a different view of the surrounding area. It’s recommended that you start at the highest level and make your way down to the lower levels, as this will give you a better perspective of the Colosseum’s structure and history.
4. Take Pictures
One of the most popular activities tourists engage in at the Colosseum is taking pictures. You should always carry a camera or smartphone with you to take pictures of the iconic structure and the surrounding area. Consider hiring a professional photographer or taking a photography tour to ensure you capture the best pictures.
General Tips for Visiting Colosseum
Now that you have an idea of what you can do at Colosseum let’s look at some tips to help you have a better overall experience and make the most of your visit.
1. Avoid the Crowds
The Colosseum is one of the most visited landmarks in Rome, making it essential to avoid the crowds if you want to have a great experience. The best time to visit is early in the morning or late in the afternoon when there are fewer crowds.
2. Bring Supplies
When visiting the Colosseum, you should bring necessary supplies, such as water, snacks, sunscreen, and a hat. You can easily become dehydrated when walking around the Colosseum, so make sure you stay well-hydrated during your visit.
3. Follow the Rules
The Colosseum has strict rules that visitors must follow, such as not littering or vandalizing the site. Always follow the guidelines, and respect the historical significance of the site.
4. Use a Licensed Tour Guide
When visiting the Colosseum, it’s essential to have a guide to provide you with accurate and detailed information about the site’s history. A licensed tour guide can give you insight into the Colosseum’s history and answer any questions you might have.
Book Your Tour Now
The Colosseum is a spectacular site that offers tourists an opportunity to learn about ancient Roman culture and architecture. By following the tips provided in this post and planning your visit well, you can have an unforgettable experience at the Colosseum. Remember to purchase your tickets in advance, dress comfortably, and follow the rules. Finally, hire a licensed guide, prepare your camera, and get ready to explore one of the world’s most iconic landmarks.
Table of Contents