Rostock, one of the largest and oldest cities in northern Germany, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. Located on the banks of the Warnow River and the Baltic Sea, Rostock offers a mix of fascinating history, stunning architecture, and breathtaking views that are sure to leave you in awe. Whether you’re here for a day trip, a weekend getaway, or even a longer stay, there are plenty of things to do and sights to see in this charming city. In this post, we’ll explore some of the best attractions and activities that Rostock has to offer. So let’s jump in and discover what this charming city has in store for us!
The 2 Best Things To Do In Rostock
The 2 Best Things To Do In Rostock
1. Rostock City Walking Tour
Enjoy a two-hour walking tour of the Hanseatic City of Rostock and get a great overview of its key sites. Explore the old town and the historic harbor area on a tour that spans from the medieval architecture to the 20th-century. Converse with an expert guide about the major city sites like the town hall, gothic churches, and the medieval city wall. Stroll through old-town alleys, riverside boulevards, and the university square. Discover the city’s hidden gems and learn from your local guide’s insider knowledge. Please note that this tour is not suitable for people with mobility impairments.
2. Rostock Half Day Full Day or Sunset Catamaran Cruise
Embark on a half-day or full-day catamaran cruise along the Baltic Sea coastline for a relaxing day at sea. With your own skipper aboard a modern catamaran, take in stunning views of the seascape and picturesque towns along the coastline. If you choose a sunset cruise, the experience will be unforgettable.
The catamaran awaits you in the modern marina, where your skipper will give a quick introduction to the boat, as well as a safety briefing. After setting out to sea, depending on the weather conditions, the catamaran will travel towards Kühlungsbor. Enjoy the wind, water, and fantastic atmosphere at sea as you relax on board or even help the skipper maneuver the vessel. During the cruise, jump into the Baltic Sea and go for a swim.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rostock: Your Ultimate GuideRostock is a beautiful city located in the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern region of Germany. As a popular tourist destination, visitors often have questions about Rostock before they arrive. In this guide, we’ll answer the most frequently asked questions about Rostock to help make your visit a smooth and enjoyable experience.
1. What is the best way to get to Rostock?Rostock is easily accessible by air, rail, and road. The nearest airport is Rostock-Laage Airport, which is around 30 kilometers outside the city center. Several airlines operate flights to and from this airport, including Germanwings and Ryanair.If you are traveling by rail, Rostock has direct connections with Berlin, Hamburg, and other German cities. The main train station is located in the city center, making it easy to reach your destination.If you prefer to drive, Rostock is well-connected by road, with the A19 and A20 highways intersecting the city. Parking is readily available in most parts of the city, but be aware that some areas are restricted to permit holders only.
2. What are the best things to do in Rostock?Rostock is a city full of history, culture, and natural beauty. Visitors can explore the city and its surroundings by taking a stroll through the charming Old Town, visiting museums, or taking a boat tour on the river Warnow. Other popular attractions include:
- St. Mary’s Church – a beautiful example of Brick Gothic architecture
- Kröpeliner Straße – a bustling shopping street with plenty of cafes and restaurants
- Rostock Zoo – home to over 4,000 animals from around the world
- Warnemünde – a seaside resort town located just outside Rostock
3. Is it safe to visit Rostock?As with any city, it’s important to take basic precautions when visiting Rostock. The crime rate is relatively low, and the streets are generally safe to walk at night. However, it’s always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and keep your valuables secure.
4. What is the best time of year to visit Rostock?The best time to visit Rostock depends on your preferences. If you want to enjoy warm weather and outdoor activities, summer (June to August) is the best time to visit. However, this is also the busiest time of year, so expect large crowds and higher prices.If you prefer a quieter atmosphere and cooler weather, consider visiting in the spring or fall. Winter can be cold in Rostock, but it’s also a magical time to visit as the city transforms into a winter wonderland with Christmas markets and other seasonal events.
5. What is the local cuisine in Rostock?Rostock has a rich culinary heritage, with plenty of local specialties to try. Some popular dishes include:
- Rostocker Steintopf – a hearty stew made with fish, vegetables, and potatoes
- Rostock Kaviar – a spread made from smoked cod roe
- Rostocker Rotspon – a red wine that is aged in barrels in the city
- Rostocker Rauchwurst – a smoked sausage that can be served hot or cold
6. What cultural events and festivals are worth seeing in Rostock?Rostock hosts a variety of cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Some popular events include:
- Rostock Hanse Sail – a maritime festival that takes place every August
- Rostock Jazz Festival – a four-day music festival held in November
- Rostock Christmas Market – a festive market with food, drinks, and crafts during the holiday season
- Rostock City Festival – a three-day celebration of the city’s history and culture in August