The Ultimate Guide to Enjoy a Day Trip to Sonargaon from Dhaka
Sonargaon is an ancient city in Bangladesh located in the Narayanganj district and is renowned for its rich history, enchanting atmosphere and the numerous attractions for travelers. From the golden age of the Mughal era to the ancient Bengal mysticism, Sonargaon has been an integral part of Bangladesh for centuries. A day trip to Sonargaon from Dhaka is an incomparable experience for any discerning traveler keen on exploring this magnificent city.If you’re wondering what to expect from a Sonargaon Day Trip from Dhaka, then keep reading. In this guide, we will discuss everything you need to know, including what to see and do in Sonargaon, how to get there, and where to go.
What to Expect from a Sonargaon Day Trip from Dhaka
When planning a day trip to Sonargaon from Dhaka, it can be easy to get overwhelmed with the choices available. There are so many things to see and do that it’s hard to know what to prioritize. To help make your planning easier, here’s a brief overview of what to expect from a day trip to Sonargaon from Dhaka.
Rich History and Culture
Sonargaon is steeped in history and culture. From the Mughal fort at Panam City to the ancient Baliati Palace and the many stunning Hindu temples dotted around the town, this historic city will take your breath away. Stroll through the many bazaars to soak up local flavors and visit some of the oldest mosques in Bangladesh for a fascinating insight into the Islamic faith.
Art and Architecture
Sonargaon is a veritable feast of art and architecture. Marvel at the intricate artistry of the 100-year-old Manik Mia mosque, or explore the ruins of Choto Sona Mosque, one of the grandest monuments of the Mughal period. Take a boat ride along the banks of the Palla River for a truly incredible view and a chance to spot migratory birds.
Peace and Tranquility
If you’re looking for some peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of Dhaka, then Sonargaon is the place for you. Enjoy unhurried boat rides along the many waterways of this tranquil region. Or simply enjoy a leisurely walk amidst nature’s beauty and marvel at its many wonders, such as colorful lotus flowers that bloom in the ponds and marshes of Sonargaon.
How to Get There
There are several options available for getting to Sonargaon from Dhaka. The most popular option is by road. You can take a taxi or direct bus service from Dhaka Shaknabir bus stand that takes around one hour. If you prefer to travel by train, then you can also take a train from Dhaka Mahanagar Station which takes around 3 hours.
Where to Go
During your day trip to Sonargaon from Dhaka, you will have plenty of opportunities for exploration. Here are some of the must-see places you should make sure to include on your itinerary:
- Panam City: Located at one of the highest points of Sonargaon, Panam City was once the residence of a rich Mughal businessman named Rai Ali Vardi Khan in 1517 CE. This vast compound contains sprawling gardens, Mughal architecture, and remnants of two fortresses.
- Baliati Palace: This 17th Century palace served as the home of Bengal subadars up until late 19th Century. After independence in 1971, it became an archaeological museum that houses ancient weapons, artifacts, coins and jewelry.
- Tara Mosque: This 500-year-old mosque is one of the oldest in Bangladesh. It is made completely out of brick and has a traditional four-domed roof which can be seen from far away.
- Hindu Temples: The many Hindu temples dotted around Sonargaon are testimony to its cosmopolitan past. Some of these temples date back thousands of years and contain intricate carvings and artwork.
- Palla River: The Palla River runs through Sonargaon and is an ideal spot for boat-riding and bird watching. This river is known for its stunning sunsets, making it an ideal spot for taking photographs.
- Hatirjheel: One of the largest man-made wetlands in Dhaka, Hatirjheel stretches across 8 square kilometers. This sprawling lake offers a great escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Chawkbazar: Chawkbazar is one of the oldest markets in Dhaka that offers a unique shopping experience with its narrow lanes and bustling markets lined with shops selling everything from spices to textiles.
A day trip to Sonargaon from Dhaka is an unforgettable experience that offers something for everyone – rich culture, stunning architecture, beautiful nature, bustling bazaars and much more. With its unique combination of modern comforts and ancient history, there’s truly no better place to explore than this magnificent city! So what are you waiting for? Our Sonargaon Day Tour will help you discover all the best attractions in this historic city. Book your tour today!
Table of Contents