Ravenna is a hidden gem, tucked away in the northeast of Italy. It’s a city of outstanding beauty, with a history that is as fascinating as it is ancient. Famous for its golden mosaics, Ravenna is a historic city that is steeped in culture and heritage. In this post, we’ll be taking you on a journey through the best attractions and things to do in Ravenna. Whether you’re an art lover, a history buff, or just looking for a break from the hustle and bustle of city life, Ravenna has something for everyone. Join us as we explore the top sights and hidden gems that you won’t want to miss on your visit to this beautiful city.
The 3 Best Things For Couples To Do In Ravenna
- From Bologna Ravenna Unesco Monuments Guided Tour
- Full Day Ravenna Private Tour of Must See Sites With Local Top Rated Guide
- Ravenna Private Guided Tour of Top Sites Ancient Mosaics and Piadina Food Tasting
The 3 Best Things For Couples To Do In Ravenna
1. From Bologna Ravenna Unesco Monuments Guided Tour
Discover the exquisite mosaic art and rich cultural heritage of Ravenna with a small group guided tour of its Unesco monuments. Explore the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo, the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, the Basilica of San Vitale, the Battistero Neoniano and the Chapel of Sant’Andrea, all of which have been recognised as World Heritage Sites for their remarkable significance in European cultural history. Marvel at the supreme artistry of the mosaics and gain crucial insights into the artistic and religious relationships of the time. The tour includes train tickets for the return trip between Bologna and Ravenna, as well as an expert local guide to enhance your experience of this amazing destination.
2. Full Day Ravenna Private Tour of Must See Sites With Local Top Rated Guide
Discover the major monuments and attractions of Ravenna during a private full-day walking tour with a top-rated local guide. This tour is focused on local history, culture, and architecture in Italy. You will see top sites including churches, tombs, and piazzas during the tour. Personalize the itinerary according to your interests and let your guide design a custom route. Maximize time in this charming town with a private tour. The tour includes admission tickets, pick up/drop off, and taxi or bus fee. Meeting point is at NH Hotel Ravenna where your guide will wait for you at the entrance. The tour starts at 09:30 AM and ends at Piazza del Popolo. The first site to expect is Basilica di Sant’Apollinare Nuovo where you will spend 20 minutes. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to explore Ravenna with a knowledgeable guide who will enhance your experience of the city.
3. Ravenna Private Guided Tour of Top Sites Ancient Mosaics and Piadina Food Tasting
Explore the breathtaking Italian city of Ravenna on a half-day private walking tour led by an experienced local guide. This tour is an ideal introduction for first-time visitors, allowing you to see the top sites in the city. You’ll get a chance to admire the Byzantine-era mosaics in the basilicas of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo and San Vitale, pay your respects to the famed poet at Dante’s tomb, and enjoy a complimentary food and wine tasting of regional products. Choose between morning and afternoon tour timings for added flexibility. The meeting point is NH Hotel Ravenna, just a few minutes’ walk from Ravenna train station, and the tour ends at Piazza del Popolo. During this tour, you’ll receive top-notch service, including hotel pickup and drop-off, food and wine tastings, and tips for your local guide.
The Most Frequently Asked Questions About RavennaRavenna is a beautiful city located in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, renowned for its art, history, and culture. Every year, thousands of tourists flock to Ravenna to explore its stunning landmarks, museums, and art galleries. As with any popular tourist destination, visitors have many questions about the city. In this blog post, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Ravenna.
1. What is the best time to visit Ravenna?Ravenna is a city that can be enjoyed all year round, but the best time to visit is from March to June or September to November. The spring and fall seasons offer comfortable temperatures, fewer crowds, and lower hotel rates. Additionally, during these seasons, you can enjoy some of the most important cultural events that take place in Ravenna, such as the Ravenna Festival, which is a festival of music, dance, and theatre that takes place between May and July each year.
2. What are the must-see attractions in Ravenna?Ravenna is home to some of the most incredible religious and historical monuments in the world. The top must-see attractions in Ravenna include:
The Mausoleum of Galla PlacidiaThe Mausoleum of Galla Placidia is a UNESCO World Heritage site, located in the heart of Ravenna. This ancient building is a masterpiece of architecture and art, adorned with spectacular mosaics dating back to the 5th century AD.
San Vitale BasilicaThe San Vitale Basilica is another UNESCO World Heritage site in Ravenna, dating back to the 6th century AD. This stunning monument is famous for its intricate mosaics that decorate the walls and ceilings of the building.
Dante’s TombDante’s Tomb is a place of pilgrimage for literature and poetry lovers. This tomb, located in Ravenna’s Basilica di San Francesco, is believed to hold Dante’s remains.
The National Museum of RavennaThe National Museum of Ravenna is a fascinating museum that showcases the history and art of Ravenna. The museum’s collections include ancient Roman and Byzantine artefacts, as well as medieval art and sculptures.
3. What should I eat in Ravenna?Ravenna is famous for its cuisine, which features fresh seafood, homemade bread, and locally-produced wines. Here are some of the must-try dishes when you visit Ravenna:
Lasagne alla BologneseLasagne alla Bolognese is a classic Italian dish that is extremely popular in the Emilia-Romagna region, including Ravenna. This delicious pasta dish is made with layers of pasta, béchamel sauce, and a meat sauce made with beef, pork, and tomatoes.
PiadaPiada is a type of flatbread that is a typical street food in Ravenna. It is made with flour, water, and lard and is often stuffed with cheese, cured meats, or vegetables.
Seafood RisottoBeing a coastal city, Ravenna has an abundance of fresh seafood. The seafood risotto is a popular dish that features tender Arborio rice cooked with mussels, clams, squid, and other seafood in a rich tomato broth.
4. How do I get around Ravenna?Ravenna is a small city that can be easily explored on foot or by bike. The city centre is pedestrian-friendly, and there are many bike rental shops in the area. Alternatively, you can use the local buses to get around the different neighbourhoods of the city.
5. Where can I stay in Ravenna?Ravenna has many accommodation options that cater to all budgets and preferences. The city centre is full of charming boutique hotels, bed and breakfasts, and guesthouses, while there are also many hotels and resorts located near the beach.
6. What are the best beaches near Ravenna?Ravenna is located on the Adriatic Sea, and there are many beautiful beaches that you can enjoy near the city. Some of the best beaches near Ravenna include:
Mirabilandia BeachMirabilandia Beach is a stunning beach located just outside the city of Ravenna. This popular beach is known for its clear waters and soft sand and is a great place to relax and soak up the sun.
Levante BeachLevante Beach is also located near Ravenna and is a long stretch of sandy beach that is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and beach games.
Punta Marina BeachPunta Marina beach is a family-friendly beach that is ideal for children, with shallow waters and many facilities.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in RavennaRavenna is a small city located in the Emilia-Romagna region of northern Italy. It is a renowned destination for tourists who are interested in art, culture, and history. If you are planning a trip to Ravenna, this guide will help you to make the most of your time in the city.
1. Visit the MosaicsRavenna is known for its stunning mosaics that date back to the Byzantine era. The city is home to several impressive mosaic sites, including the Basilica of San Vitale, the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, and the Arian Baptistery. To get the most out of your visit to the mosaics, we recommend hiring a guide who can explain the history and significance of these stunning works of art.
2. Explore the Historic CenterRavenna’s historic center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is home to several iconic landmarks, including the Piazza del Popolo, the Basilica di Sant’Apollinare Nuovo, and the Palazzo di Teodorico. A stroll through the streets of the historic center will give you a taste of Ravenna’s rich history and culture, and is a great way to discover hidden gems such as the ancient walls and archways that still stand today.
3. Learn About DanteRavenna is also home to the tomb of Dante Alighieri, the famous Italian poet who wrote the Divine Comedy. The Tomb of Dante is located inside the Basilica di San Francisco and is a must-visit site for fans of the poet.
4. Take a Bike RideRavenna is a flat and compact city that is perfect for exploring on a bike. There are several bike rental shops located in the city center, and bike tours are also available if you prefer to explore with a guide. A bike ride is a great way to see more of the city and discover hidden corners that you might miss on foot.
5. Experience the Local CuisineRavenna is located in the Emilia-Romagna region, which is famous for its delicious cuisine. In Ravenna, you can try local specialties such as piadina (a type of flatbread), cappelletti (stuffed pasta), and the local seafood. We recommend visiting a local trattoria or osteria to experience the flavors of Ravenna’s traditional cuisine.
6. Take a Day TripRavenna is located near several other beautiful destinations that make for great day trips. For example, you could visit the charming town of Cesena, which is only 30 minutes away by train, or the beautiful seaside town of Rimini, which is just an hour away by bus.
Book Your Tour NowRavenna is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture that is waiting to be explored. By following the tips in this guide, you can make the most of your time in the city and experience everything that Ravenna has to offer. Whether you are interested in art, history, or cuisine, there is something for everyone in this charming Italian city.
Share This Article with Your Friends
If you found this article helpful, your friends might appreciate it too. Click on any of the social share buttons below to share it with them and spread the knowledge.