Welcome to Santa Barbara, California, one of the most charming and picturesque cities on the West Coast. Situated between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains, Santa Barbara offers visitors a unique blend of beachy vibes, Spanish architecture, and natural beauty. Known as the “American Riviera,” this city has something for every type of traveler, from outdoor enthusiasts to foodies, wine connoisseurs, and art lovers. In this blog post, we will explore the best attractions and things to do in Santa Barbara, so you can make the most of your visit and experience all the city has to offer.
The 4 Best Things To Do With Family In Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Wine Country Tour With Lunch
- Santa Barbara Funk Zone Food Photo Tour
- Santa Barbara Walking Tours History Architecture
- Soar Above Beautiful Santa Barbara
The 4 Best Things To Do With Family In Santa Barbara
1. Santa Barbara Wine Country Tour With Lunch
Explore the beautiful wine country of Santa Barbara on a full-day tour that promises a fantastic experience. With this tour, you’ll have the chance to explore wines crafted by small-production, independent-family-owned wineries, and sample a variety of fine wines. The itinerary is designed to showcase the quality and diversity of fine wines in Santa Barbara, giving you the true wine-tasting experience by visiting a mixture of vineyards and small wine-tasting rooms. The tour offers door-to-door transportation from different areas including Montecito, Santa Barbara, Goleta, Santa Ynez, Solvang, Los Olivos, and Buellton. Pick-ups start at 10:00 a.m. in the Santa Barbara area, progressing on to the Santa Ynez area at 11:00 a.m. Expect the tour to last for about six hours, and unwind as you savor a gourmet lunch. Book now and get ready for an unforgettable wine adventure!
2. Santa Barbara Funk Zone Food Photo Tour
This 3-hour food and photo tour through Santa Barbara’s Funk Zone neighborhood is a must-do for any foodie and photography lover. With the guidance of a professional tour guide, you’ll get to enjoy bites and sips from 8 tasting locations, including fresh seafood gastropub creations, Mexican food, artisan beer, locally grown wines, and hand-crafted spirits. As you explore the neighborhood, your guide will also show you hidden graffiti art and galleries, making for a culturally immersive experience.
Plus, you’ll learn foodie photo tips and tricks using your smartphone’s camera app, and even receive an exclusive Funk Zone Tour Guide Sheet with a map and tour guest discounts. By the end of the tour, not only will you be well-fed and cultured, but you’ll also have improved your food photography skills and be shooting like a pro. Don’t miss out on this unique and tasty adventure in Santa Barbara!
3. Santa Barbara Walking Tours History Architecture
Explore the history and architectural marvels of Santa Barbara with a private walking tour. Join your guide at El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park and get ready to discover the city’s most iconic landmarks including City Hall and the Granada Theatre. Your experienced guide will be happy to tailor the itinerary to your interests, providing in-depth commentary on everything from the city’s origin to adobe construction. This private tour also offers the flexibility to go beyond the usual tourist trail, making it the best way to discover Santa Barbara’s lesser-known attractions. Make the most out of your visit to the city with a personalized tour that comes with historical photos, parking fees, and lunch included. Meet your guide in front of the church and confirm the start time with the local provider for a hassle-free experience.
4. Soar Above Beautiful Santa Barbara
Soar Above Beautiful Santa Barbara is a thrilling parasailing adventure that takes you on a unique journey through the city’s coast, in California. With an expert captain guiding you through the tour, you’ll have the opportunity to witness panoramic views of the city’s wharfs, beaches, and Californian waves from high above. This experience is perfect to share with friends and family, creating unforgettable memories. The tour provides all the necessary equipment and ensures your safety, making it a must-do activity during your Californian vacation. The meeting point is 237 Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara CA 93101, where you’ll find the yellow and black flag that reads PARASAIL! The tour ends at the same location. Don’t miss out on this unique and unforgettable experience in the sky over Santa Barbara.
The Ultimate Guide to Santa Barbara: Answering The Most Frequently Asked Questions by TouristsSanta Barbara, located in the southern region of California, USA, is a popular destination for tourists seeking a relaxing vacation amidst natural beauty. From awe-inspiring beaches to historic landmarks and cultural events, Santa Barbara offers something for everyone. But before you pack your bags and hit the road to Santa Barbara, there might be some questions on your mind that you want answers to. In this guide, we have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions by tourists about Santa Barbara to help you plan the perfect trip.
1. What is Santa Barbara Famous For?Santa Barbara is known for its stunning beaches, architecture, and historical landmarks. It’s also known for its year-round Mediterranean climate, which makes it a popular destination for outdoor activities such as hiking, surfing, and sightseeing. The Spanish-influenced architecture and red-tiled roofs of the buildings in Santa Barbara add to the city’s charm and feel.
2. What is the Best Time to Visit Santa Barbara?The best time to visit Santa Barbara is during the spring (March-May) and fall (September-November) seasons. The weather during these seasons is mild, with sunny days and cool breezy nights. Summer (June-August) is also a great time to visit Santa Barbara if you enjoy the beach, but it can get crowded and hot. Winter (December-February) is the least popular time to visit Santa Barbara as the weather can be cold and rainy.
3. What Are Some of the Best Outdoor Activities to Do in Santa Barbara?Santa Barbara is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Some of the best outdoor activities in Santa Barbara include:
- Hiking: The city is home to some of the best hiking trails in California, such as the Romero Canyon Trail and Inspiration Point Trail.
- Surfing: The beaches in Santa Barbara are perfect for surfing, with consistent waves and warm water.
- Kayaking: Explore the Santa Barbara coastline from a kayak and spot marine life such as whales and dolphins.
- Cycling: The city has bike-friendly lanes, making cycling a great way to explore Santa Barbara’s attractions.
- Wine Tasting: The Santa Barbara wine country is a must-visit for wine lovers, with over 200 wineries and vineyards.
4. What Are Some of the Must-See Attractions in Santa Barbara?Some of the must-see attractions in Santa Barbara include:
- Stearns Wharf: Visit the historic Stearns Wharf, which is the oldest working wharf in California.
- Santa Barbara Courthouse: Visit the stunning Spanish Colonial Revival-style courthouse, which offers panoramic views of the city and ocean.
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden: Explore 78 acres of natural beauty at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, which has over 1,000 native plant species.
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art: The museum features a collection of over 27,000 works of art, ranging from ancient to modern times.
- Santa Barbara Zoo: The zoo is home to over 500 animals, including giraffes, lions, and elephants.
5. What Are Some of the Best Beaches in Santa Barbara?Santa Barbara is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in California. Some of the best beaches in Santa Barbara include:
- East Beach: Located along the Cabrillo Boulevard, this beach is perfect for swimming, volleyball, and picnicking.
- Butterfly Beach: A secluded beach that offers stunning views of the sunset, it’s a perfect spot for a romantic stroll.
- Hendry’s Beach: Known for its calm waters and scenic views, it’s a great spot for picnics and surfing.
- Leadbetter Beach: A popular spot for locals, this beach is perfect for swimming, surfing, and paddleboarding.
- Arroyo Burro Beach: Also known as Hendry’s Beach, this beach is ideal for families, with a playground and picnic tables available.
6. What is the Transportation System Like in Santa Barbara?Santa Barbara has a reliable public transportation system that includes buses and trains. The Metropolitan Transit District, also known as MTD, operates a fleet of buses that covers the entire city. The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train is another popular mode of transportation, which connects Santa Barbara to other cities along the coast. Taxis and ride-sharing services are also available in Santa Barbara.
7. What is the Weather Like in Santa Barbara?Santa Barbara has a mild Mediterranean climate, characterized by dry summers and mild winters. The average temperature in Santa Barbara ranges from 60 degrees Fahrenheit in winter to 75 degrees Fahrenheit in summer. The city receives most of its rainfall between November and February.
8. What Are Some of the Best Restaurants in Santa Barbara?Santa Barbara has a thriving culinary scene, offering a variety of cuisines to suit all tastes. Some of the best restaurants in Santa Barbara include:
- The Lark: Known for its farm-to-table cuisine, The Lark is a must-visit for foodies.
- Bouchon: A French-inspired bistro that offers an extensive wine list along with delicious food.
- Los Agaves: A casual Mexican restaurant that serves traditional dishes made with fresh ingredients.
- Opal Restaurant & Bar: A restaurant that offers California-inspired cuisine and an impressive wine list.
- Olio Pizzeria: A pizzeria that offers wood-fired pizzas made with fresh ingredients.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Santa BarbaraIf you’re planning a trip to Santa Barbara, you’ll be pleased to know that there are a countless number of things to see and do in this beautiful California city. To help you make the most of your trip, we have created a comprehensive guide to spending your time as a tourist in Santa Barbara. So, let’s dive in!
1. Visit the Santa Barbara Courthouse
The Santa Barbara Courthouse is a must-visit attraction when you’re in the city. The courthouse is a beautiful Spanish-Moorish building located in the downtown area. The architecture and design are stunning, and the interior is filled with beautiful murals and mosaics. Make sure to climb the courthouse clock tower for a breathtaking view of the city.
2. Explore the Santa Barbara Zoo
The Santa Barbara Zoo is home to over 500 animals and is spread over 30 acres. The zoo is located on a hilltop with beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. You can take a train ride tour around the zoo, feed the giraffes, and check out the tropical aviary. It’s a great place to spend the day with family.
3. Take a Walk on Stearns Wharf
Stearns Wharf is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Santa Barbara. This historic pier is over 140 years old and is home to souvenir shops, seafood restaurants, and a natural history museum. It’s a great place to take a walk, catch a sunset, and enjoy the beautiful view of the ocean.
4. Visit the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden is a beautiful 78-acre garden located near downtown Santa Barbara. The garden features a wide variety of native plants, trees, and shrubs alongside peaceful walking paths. The garden is an excellent place to take a leisurely stroll or have a picnic with family and friends.
5. Go Wine Tasting in Santa Ynez Valley
The Santa Ynez Valley is located just north of Santa Barbara and is home to over 120 wineries. It’s an excellent place to go wine tasting and enjoy a day in the beautiful countryside. You can drive yourself, or take a tour to explore the beautiful vineyards.
6. Check Out the Santa Barbara Museum of Art
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is one of the best art museums in California. It features a wide range of art and exhibitions from around the world. You can see pieces from famous artists like Monet, Degas, and Van Gogh, alongside pieces from contemporary artists. The museum is located in downtown Santa Barbara and is a must-see for art lovers.
7. Relax on Butterfly Beach
Butterfly Beach is a beautiful beach located near the Montecito area of Santa Barbara. The beach has soft sand and beautiful views of the Channel Islands. It’s a great place to relax, sunbathe, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
8. Go Shopping on State Street
State Street is the main shopping district in Santa Barbara. It’s lined with shops, restaurants, and cafes, and is a great place to spend an afternoon. You can find everything from high-end boutiques to souvenir shops, and there are plenty of cafes where you can take a break and grab a bite to eat.
9. Hike the Seven Falls Trail
The Seven Falls Trail is a beautiful hike located in the Santa Ynez Mountains. The hike takes you on a 3.5-mile round trip through a canyon and features seven waterfalls. You’ll see plenty of wildlife, including hummingbirds, lizards, and butterflies, along the way.
10. Take a Tour of the Old Mission Santa Barbara
The Old Mission Santa Barbara is a historic church and museum located in downtown Santa Barbara. The mission was founded in 1786 and is one of the oldest in California. You can take a guided tour of the church and museum, and learn about the history of the mission and the area.
Book Your Tour Now
Santa Barbara is a beautiful city with something to offer for everyone. Whether you’re interested in history, art, food or the outdoors, there’s no shortage of activities to enjoy. Be sure to visit the attractions mentioned above to make the most of your trip.
Table of Contents