Looking for a charming, cultural and historic city in Germany to explore? Look no further than Weimar! As the birthplace of the cultural movement known as Weimar Classicism, this city is a treasure trove of art, architecture and history. Whether you’re a history buff, a lover of the arts, or just looking for a weekend getaway, Weimar has something to offer for everyone. In this post, we will explore the best attractions and things to do in Weimar, from visiting world-famous museums to strolling around picturesque parks and gardens. Get ready for an unforgettable journey through one of Germany’s most fascinating cities!
The 2 Best Things You Have To Do In Weimar
The 2 Best Things You Have To Do In Weimar
1. Weimar Abenteuerdate Fun Game Walk and Dinner Reservation
This tour is an exciting adventure for couples and best friends looking for a fun and interactive way to explore Weimar. For a duration of 2 hours, you’ll be immersed in an exciting relationship and exploration game that will take you through the Ilm Park and the center of Weimar. Along the way, you will be presented with creative and funny tasks, questions and missions to solve. These tasks are designed to create new memories and to help you better understand your relationship.
This tour is only available for booking as a team of two persons. During your adventure, you will have the opportunity to create amazing memories while enjoying the beautiful scenery of Weimar. Along with the guided tour, you will also enjoy tasty dishes from the region and a free welcome drink. Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to explore Weimar in a fun and exciting way!
2. Dresden Historic Weimar Scavenger Hunt
Your adventure through historic Weimar starts with a fun and interactive scavenger hunt. The game box contains 11 sealed envelopes with riddles that take you on a walking tour through the city center. Solve each riddle to unlock the next envelope and uncover the sights of Weimar.
This tour is perfect for those who want flexibility and independence. You can pause the game at any time to take a break or snap some photos. Along the way, you’ll also receive detailed information about each sight you visit, including their historical background and current use.
Experience the best of Weimar with this unique and exciting scavenger hunt city game.
Frequently Asked Questions about Weimar
Weimar is a charming city located in the central region of Germany. It has a rich history and is known for its cultural and intellectual contributions. As a tourist, you may have several questions about the city, and we are here to answer the most frequently asked ones.
What is the best time to visit Weimar?
The best time to visit Weimar is from May to September when the weather is mild, and the city is bustling with activity. You can enjoy the beautiful parks and gardens, attend various cultural events, and explore the city’s historic landmarks, all while enjoying the pleasant weather. However, it is essential to note that this is also the peak tourist season, and the city may be crowded, so it’s advisable to book in advance.
What are the must-visit tourist attractions in Weimar?
Weimar has a lot to offer in terms of tourist attractions. Here are the most popular ones:
- The Goethe House and Museum – this is where the famous German poet and writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe lived for over 50 years.
- The Bauhaus Museum – this museum showcases the art and design movement that originated in Weimar in the early 20th century.
- The Duchess Anna Amalia Library – this is one of the most beautiful libraries in the world, with over 1 million books and manuscripts.
- The Buchenwald Memorial – this former concentration camp is a sobering reminder of the atrocities committed during World War II.
- The Park an der Ilm – this beautiful park is perfect for a leisurely stroll, and it also houses the Weimar Palace.
How can I get around Weimar?
Weimar is a small city, and most of the tourist attractions are located within walking distance from each other. However, if you prefer to use public transportation, there are buses and trams that operate regularly throughout the city. You can purchase tickets from vending machines at train stations, online or from the bus driver. Taxis are also available, but they can be expensive.
What are the local delicacies in Weimar?
Weimar is known for its culinary delights, and here are some typical local dishes that you must try:
- Thuringian Bratwurst – this is a type of sausage made from beef or pork and seasoned with various spices, often served with sauerkraut and potatoes.
- Kloß – this is a traditional German dumpling made from mashed potatoes and flour, often served with meat dishes.
- Feuerzangenbowle – this is a mulled wine made with rum and sugar, often served during the Christmas season.
- Eierlikör – this is a rich and creamy egg liqueur that is often served as a dessert or digestif.
What are the best places to shop in Weimar?
Weimar has a vibrant shopping scene, and you can find everything from high-end boutiques to quirky souvenir shops. Here are some of the best places to shop in the city:
- The Goetheplatz – this is the main shopping district in Weimar, where you can find a variety of shops and department stores.
- The Bauhaus-Shop – this shop sells products inspired by the iconic Bauhaus design movement, including furniture, lighting, and home accessories.
- The Marktstraße – this street is lined with independent boutiques, vintage shops, and art galleries.
- The Wochenmarkt – this is the weekly market held every Saturday, where you can find fresh produce, artisanal cheese, and handmade crafts.
What is the currency used in Weimar, and how can I exchange money?
The currency used in Germany is the Euro (EUR). You can exchange money at most banks, exchange offices or ATMs. It’s always advisable to use a debit or credit card to avoid carrying large amounts of money. Most shops and restaurants accept major credit cards such as Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.
What are some cultural events that take place in Weimar?
Weimar is known for its cultural and intellectual contributions, and there are several events that take place throughout the year. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- The Weimar Arts Festival – this festival takes place every summer and showcases the best of contemporary music, theater, and dance.
- The Christmas market – this is a traditional German Christmas market that takes place every December, featuring local crafts, food, and mulled wine.
- The Onion Market – this festival takes place every October and celebrates the humble onion, with stalls selling everything from onion soup to onion-flavored ice cream.
- The Onion Bridge Festival – this festival takes place every August and celebrates the classic Thuringian bratwurst, with live music, beer tents, and bratwurst-eating contests.
What are the accommodations options in Weimar?
Weimar has a variety of accommodations to suit all budgets and preferences. You can find everything from luxurious hotels to budget hostels. Some of the most popular ones include:
- The Hotel Elephant – this 5-star hotel is located in the heart of the city and has hosted several famous guests over the years, including President Obama.
- The Dorint Am Goethepark – this hotel is located in a historic building and offers panoramic views of the city.
- The Labyrinth Hostel – this budget hostel is located in a quiet neighborhood and offers clean and comfortable rooms at affordable prices.
- The A&O Weimar – this hostel is located in the city center and offers both private and dormitory-style rooms.