Montepulciano is a charming town located in the heart of Tuscany, Italy. Famous for its stunning views, delicious cuisine, and world-renowned wines, this medieval hilltop town attracts tourists from all over the world. Montepulciano is a perfect destination for travel enthusiasts, history buffs, foodies, and wine lovers. In this article, we will explore some of the best attractions and things to do in Montepulciano, so you can plan your perfect trip to this incredible destination. From exploring ancient churches to sipping wine at local vineyards, Montepulciano has something for everyone. So, get ready to indulge in the beauty and flavors of this picturesque Tuscan town!
The 3 Best Top Things In Montepulciano
- Montepulciano from Above
- Montepulciano Twilight Saga New Moon Tour With Wine Tasting
- Guided Tour of the Historical Cellars in Montepulciano
The 3 Best Top Things In Montepulciano
1. Montepulciano from Above
This walking tour takes you on a journey through the fascinating history of Montepulciano, a beautiful Tuscan hill town. With a knowledgeable guide by your side, you’ll explore the town’s picturesque lanes, climb to the top of the bell tower (at your own expense) for incredible bird’s-eye views of the surrounding countryside, and even sample some of the local wines produced in the vineyards just outside the town. The pace and itinerary of the tour can even be customized to suit your preferences, making it the perfect way to make the most of your time in Montepulciano. The tour departs from Porta al Prato, and includes all fees and taxes, as well as a glass of delicious local wine to cap off your visit.
2. Montepulciano Twilight Saga New Moon Tour With Wine Tasting
This tour allows visitors to discover the Italian film set of “New Moon – Twilight Saga” in Montepulciano. A guide leads through the historic center of Montepulciano, including the sites of the New Moon’s movie set such as the palace with the clock tower Piazza Grande filled with red cloaks that witnessed the desperate rush of the young mortal Bella Swan looking for her charming good vampire Edward Cullen. Afterwards, enjoy a special aperitif at a historic restaurant in Montepulciano. The tour also includes a visit to a historic cellar movie set of New Moon, a wine tasting, and a “New Moon” gadget plus a bottle of wine.
3. Guided Tour of the Historical Cellars in Montepulciano
Start at the stunning Piazza Grande and uncover the rich history of Montepulciano and the deep roots that have molded the local residents and the Vino Nobile. Explore 2 underground cellars with the expert guidance of a knowledgeable tour guide. You’ll see the remarkable brick vaults and gigantic oak barrels where the famous Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG and Rosso di Montepulciano DOC “rest.” Finally, enjoy a wine-tasting session with an explanation of the basic characteristics of the wines. This tour includes a walk through the historic center of Montepulciano, a guided tour of the underground cellars, and a tasting of Rosso di Montepulciano DOC and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG. You will also receive a glass and a glass keeper. Please note that this tour is not suitable for individuals with limited mobility.
Most Frequently Asked Questions About MontepulcianoMontepulciano, a beautiful hilltop town in Tuscany, Italy, is known for its rich history, wine production, and stunning views. With so much to see and experience, it’s no wonder why tourists flock to this charming town.But before you start planning your trip to Montepulciano, you might have some questions about what to expect during your visit. To help you plan accordingly, here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Montepulciano.
1. When is the best time to visit Montepulciano?The best time to visit Montepulciano is during the spring (April-June) or fall (September-November) when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are thinner compared to the peak summer season. Summer months tend to be quite busy and hot, which might make it difficult to enjoy certain outdoor activities. If you’re interested in attending the famous Cantine Aperte wine festival, which takes place on the last Sunday in May, make sure to plan your trip accordingly.
2. What is Montepulciano famous for?Montepulciano is famous for its wine production, particularly the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, which is made from the Sangiovese grape. The town also has a rich history, with many historic and cultural attractions, such as the Palazzo Comunale and the Tempio di San Biagio. Additionally, Montepulciano is known for its stunning views of the surrounding Tuscan countryside.
3. How do I get to Montepulciano?The easiest way to get to Montepulciano is by car, as the town is not well-connected by public transportation. You can rent a car at major cities such as Florence or Rome and drive to Montepulciano, which takes approximately two hours from either city. Alternatively, you can take a train to Chiusi-Chianciano Terme station and then take a taxi or bus to Montepulciano.
4. What are the best things to do in Montepulciano?There are plenty of things to do and see in Montepulciano, such as:
- Visit the Palazzo Comunale, which houses a museum and offers stunning views of the town and surrounding hills.
- Taste the local wine, particularly the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, at one of the many wineries and wine cellars in the town.
- Explore the historic churches and cathedrals, such as the Tempio di San Biagio and the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta.
- Take a scenic walk around the town, particularly along the medieval walls and narrow streets.
- Attend the Cantine Aperte wine festival, which takes place on the last Sunday in May and offers wine tastings, food, and live music.