Looking for a holiday spot to explore in Bulgaria? Look no further than Varna, the country’s third-largest city located on the shores of the Black Sea. Varna has transformed from a seaside resort to a cosmopolitan city with a rich cultural and historical heritage. It offers something for everyone, from natural attractions to cultural landmarks, amusement parks to pristine beaches, and charming cafes to vibrant restaurants. In this post, we’re going to share the best attractions and things to do in Varna, so that you can experience this captivating city to its fullest potential.
The 2 Best Top Tourist Attractions In Varna
The 2 Best Top Tourist Attractions In Varna
1. French Influence
Explore the charming city of Varna, Bulgaria’s third largest, on a walking wine tour with an emphasis on the city’s French influence. Learn about the history of Varna and how the French soldiers who came here during the Crimean War influenced the city’s architecture. Taste a variety of classic wines as you stroll through the scenic old town. With excellent value for money and instant confirmation, this tour includes wine tasting, a professional guide (if the privately-guided option is chosen), and an e-guide with all logistics (if the self-guided option is chosen). Please note that food, drinks, transport, and hotel pickup and drop-off are not included. The activity begins and ends at pl. “Sveti Sveti Kiril I Metodiy” 1, 9000 Varna Center, Varna, Bulgaria.
2. The Period of Communism Varna Wine Testing Tour
Combine Communist history and local wine on a 4-hour small-group walking tour of Varna. The tour offers a guided introduction to the town’s socialist-era monuments, including a visit to the Retro Museum (entrance fee for the museum is €5). Taste three Bulgarian wines and get insider information on the budding Bulgarian wine industry. The tour includes three wine tastings and a professional guide, with hotel pickup and drop-off included. The meeting point is the Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral, in front of the Tourist Information Center facing the Cathedral. The activity ends back at the meeting point. Join this 4-hour history and wine walking tour to experience the best of Varna’s Communist-era monuments, local wine, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions About VarnaVarna is one of the most beautiful cities in Bulgaria and a popular tourist destination. It is located on the Black Sea coast and offers visitors a rich history, stunning beaches, and a vibrant nightlife. In this blog post, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Varna to help you plan your trip.
1. What is the best time to visit Varna?Varna has a humid subtropical climate with mild winters and hot summers. The best time to visit Varna is between May and September when the weather is warm and perfect for swimming in the Black Sea. However, if you prefer to avoid the crowds, you can visit in April or October when the weather is still pleasant, but the beaches are less crowded.
2. How can I get to Varna?Varna has an airport that is served by several airlines, including Bulgarian Air Charter, Wizz Air, and Ryanair. You can also take a train or a bus from Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. The train journey takes around 7 hours, while the bus journey is around 6 hours.
3. Where can I stay in Varna?Varna offers a wide range of accommodation options for tourists, including hotels, hostels, apartments, and guesthouses. Some popular hotels in Varna include Grand Hotel London, Hotel Oceanic, and Hotel mOdus. If you are on a budget, you can find a cheap hostel or guesthouse in the city center.
4. What are the top tourist attractions in Varna?Varna has a rich cultural heritage and offers visitors a variety of tourist attractions. Some of the top attractions in Varna include:
A. The Sea Garden –This is a large park that is located right next to the beach. It offers visitors a variety of activities, including walking, cycling, and boat rides. The Sea Garden also has several attractions, including the Dolphinarium and the Aquarium.
B. The Archaeological Museum –This museum is located in the city center and houses a collection of ancient artifacts from Bulgaria and the surrounding regions. It is one of the largest museums in Bulgaria and is a must-visit for history buffs.
C. The Cathedral of the Assumption –This is one of the most beautiful churches in Bulgaria and is located in the city center. Built in the late 19th century, the Cathedral of the Assumption features impressive murals and stained glass windows.
D. The Roman Baths –These are the ruins of an ancient Roman bathhouse that date back to the 2nd century AD. The Roman Baths are located in the city center and are a popular tourist attraction.
5. What are the best beaches in Varna?Varna is famous for its stunning beaches, which are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. Some of the best beaches in Varna include:
A. Golden Sands Beach –This is one of the most popular beaches in Varna and is located just 17 km away from the city center. The beach is surrounded by a beautiful forest and offers visitors a variety of water sports, including surfing, jet skiing, and parasailing.
B. Albena Beach –This is another beautiful beach that is located 40 km away from Varna. Albena Beach is known for its crystal-clear waters and is perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
C. Sunny Day Beach –This is a small and quiet beach that is located just 14 km away from the city center. It is surrounded by a beautiful forest and is a great place to relax and enjoy the sun.
6. What is the nightlife like in Varna?Varna has a vibrant nightlife that offers visitors a variety of bars, clubs, and restaurants. Some of the best places to go out in Varna include:
A. Club Horizont –This is one of the most popular clubs in Varna and offers visitors a variety of music, including house, techno, and R&B.
B. The Beach Bar –This is a popular beach bar that offers visitors a variety of drinks and live music. The Beach Bar is located right next to the Sea Garden and is a great place to enjoy the sunset.
C. The Black Sheep –This is a cozy bar that offers visitors a variety of craft beers and cocktails. The Black Sheep is located in the city center and is a popular spot among locals and tourists alike.In conclusion, Varna is a beautiful city that offers visitors a variety of tourist attractions, stunning beaches, and a vibrant nightlife. We hope this blog post has answered some of your questions about Varna and helped you plan your trip.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in VarnaVarna is one of the largest and most popular cities on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. It is known for its beautiful beaches, rich history, and vibrant nightlife. Whether you are a beach lover, history buff, or foodie, Varna has something to offer for everyone. In this guide, I’ll share with you the best ways to spend your time as a tourist in Varna.
1. Visit the Varna Archaeological MuseumThe Varna Archaeological Museum is one of the most important museums in Bulgaria. It is located in the heart of the city, near the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin. The museum houses a vast collection of artifacts from different periods, including the Thracians, Romans, and Byzantines.One of the most famous exhibits in the museum is the Golden Treasure of Varna, which dates back to 4,500 BC. It is the oldest gold treasure in the world and includes over 3,000 hand-crafted gold and copper items.
2. Spend Time at the BeachVarna is known for its beautiful beaches, which are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing. The most popular beach in Varna is the Golden Sands Beach, which is located just outside of the city. The beach is known for its crystal clear waters and white sand.Another popular beach in Varna is the Asparuhovo Beach, which is located on the southern edge of the city. The beach offers stunning views of the bay and is a great place to catch a sunset.
3. Visit the Roman ThermaeThe Roman Thermae are located in the heart of Varna and are one of the best-preserved ancient Roman monuments in Bulgaria. The complex includes hot and cold baths, a swimming pool, and a large courtyard. It is a fascinating place to explore and learn about the ancient Roman way of life.
4. Explore the Sea GardenThe Sea Garden is a large park that stretches for 8 km along the coast of Varna. It is a great place to go for a walk or a bike ride and offers stunning views of the Black Sea. The park includes several attractions, such as the Dolphinarium, the Aquarium, and the Planetarium.
5. Visit the Aladzha MonasteryThe Aladzha Monastery is an ancient cave monastery located just outside of Varna. It was established in the 12th century and was used by hermit monks. The monastery includes several cells, a chapel, and a dining hall. It is a fascinating place to visit and learn about the history of Christianity in Bulgaria.
6. Enjoy Bulgarian CuisineBulgarian cuisine is delicious and offers a wide range of traditional dishes. Some of the most popular dishes in Varna include grilled fish, lamb stew, and banitsa (a pastry made of filo dough and cheese). You can enjoy these dishes in one of the many traditional Bulgarian restaurants in Varna.
7. Go for a Night outVarna has a vibrant nightlife and offers a wide range of entertainment options. Some of the most popular nightclubs in Varna include Play, Horizont, and Planet Club. You can also enjoy a drink in one of the many bars and pubs in the city.In conclusion, Varna is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture. Whether you are interested in archaeology, beaches, or nightlife, Varna has something to offer for everyone. By following the tips in this guide, you can make the most of your time as a tourist in Varna.
Table of Contents