Cologne, a beautiful city in western Germany, is known for its stunning architecture, rich history, and vibrant culture. With so many incredible attractions and things to do, it can be overwhelming to decide where to start. Whether you’re interested in exploring its iconic landmarks, tasting local cuisines, or immersing yourself in the city’s art scene, Cologne has something for everyone. In this post, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best attractions and activities to make your visit to Cologne an unforgettable one. So, grab your notebook and let’s start planning your trip to this incredible city!
The 10 Best Walking Tours in Cologne
- Cologne 15 Hour Rickshaw Sightseeing Tour
- Cologne Old Town Historical Walking Tour
- Old City of Cologne Guided Walking Tour
- Cologne Nostalgic Tour in German in Vintage Bus
- How the Magi Came to Cologne Myths and Legends
- Excursion to Dusseldorf
- Cologne 3 Hour Sudstadt Food Tour
- Cologne 15 Hour Comedy Bus Tour
- Koln City Exploration Game for Couples by Smartphone
- Cologne Hop on Hop Off Sightseeing Bus Ticket
The 10 Best Walking Tours in Cologne
1. Cologne 15 Hour Rickshaw Sightseeing Tour
Enjoy a 15-hour rickshaw sightseeing tour of Cologne and explore the city’s most famous sights. Your friendly tour guide will take you to the Cologne Cathedral, Germany’s most visited sight, and several other 2000-year-old sights while providing you with personal stories about Cologne and its culture. You will also enjoy unique views of the city from the rickshaw. Each tour is customizable and your guide will provide you with an unforgettable way to see Cologne. The tour includes pickup and drop-off in the city center. Come and experience Cologne by rickshaw with this amazing tour!
2. Cologne Old Town Historical Walking Tour
Embark on a insightful journey into Cologne’s past with a historical walking tour of the old town. Accompanied by an expert guide with well-founded knowledge, you’ll walk ancient streets and stop at various landmarks, learning surprising facts and fascinating anecdotes about each site.
Compare ancient buildings with pictures from the past, and hear stories of famous personalities that once interacted with them. Explore the city center with its interesting squares, monuments, and buildings. The tour includes stops at iconic sites like Fischmarkt, Schmitzsäule, St. Kolumba, Glockengasse, and the cathedral.
This historical walking tour is perfect for anyone seeking to explore Cologne’s rich heritage and learn more about its fascinating history.
3. Old City of Cologne Guided Walking Tour
Go on a guided walking tour of the Old City of Cologne and discover the city’s 2000-year history. Starting at the iconic Cologne Cathedral, admire the Gothic architecture and learn about the church’s rich history. Then walk through the bustling streets to the Romano-Germanic Museum, where you’ll see an impressive mosaic and learn about the celebration hall that once stood there.
Next, discover Cologne’s love for beer and learn about the city’s almost 1000-year-old brewing traditions. Optional tastings are available for those who want to sample some German beer. With a knowledgeable guide leading the way, this walking tour is the perfect way to sightsee and learn about Cologne’s fascinating history.
4. Cologne Nostalgic Tour in German in Vintage Bus
Immerse yourself in the nostalgic journey through Cologne’s past and experience the exciting journey through time. Board the vintage bus and join your guide, who will be wearing a typical petticoat, and enjoy a city tour through the 50s and 60s. Listen to interesting facts about the city’s history after the reconstruction and discover all aspects of Cologne as you drive through the Gerlingsquartier, ring roads, and Griechenmarktviertel until you arrive in the Südstadt. Marvel at the picturesque Old Town before returning to the Komödienstraße close to the cathedral. Join us and experience Cologne in a unique way!
5. How the Magi Came to Cologne Myths and Legends
Experience the magic of Cologne’s myths and legend on this guided walking tour through the old city center. Get mesmerized as your guide takes you on a journey through time, immersing you in the life and world of ideas of former times. Discover the true aspects of the sagas as you listen to old legends, both well-known and lesser-known, some dating back to the Middle Ages.
Find out intriguing facts about Cologne’s patron saint, Saint Ursula, and her eleven thousand virgins on a pilgrimage. Learn about the curse upon Cologne Cathedral and the reason why the Cologne Heinzelmännchen left the city for good. Most legends have some basis in the truth, and they mirror the wishes, fears, and ideas of the people from the time when they were first told.
This walking tour also includes an insight into how and why the relics of the Magi came to Cologne. Don’t miss out on this chance to unravel the myths and legends of Cologne and explore its remarkable history.
6. Excursion to Dusseldorf
Make the most of your time in Germany with this half-day private tour to Düsseldorf. Your licensed guide will take you to explore the city’s top attractions, including the Old Town Hall, Castle Tower, Arts Academy, and more. This personalized tour allows you to learn the stories behind each sight from your guide’s commentary. Transportation charges by train are included, and pick-up and meeting points are flexible. The tour ends where it started, back at the meeting point in Cologne. Admire the stunning architecture of Düsseldorf and take in the city’s rich history on this unforgettable excursion.
7. Cologne 3 Hour Sudstadt Food Tour
If you want to have a truly authentic culinary experience while in Cologne, look no further than the 3 Hour Sudstadt Food Tour. Led by a knowledgeable certified guide, you’ll explore the Severin district of the Südstadt and enjoy tastings at five different venues. Along the way, you’ll also learn about the culture, architecture, and history of this fascinating area. This tour starts at Chlodwigplatz and includes stops at international eateries, a Cologne brewery, and a typical snack spot. With insider knowledge from your guide, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the Südstadt and its many offerings. Don’t miss out on this delicious and educational experience!
8. Cologne 15 Hour Comedy Bus Tour
Discover the best of Cologne through a unique and entertaining comedy bus tour. Experience a moving stand-up stage that will take you around the city, showcasing some of the most popular attractions along with hilarious commentary from professional comedians. Laugh out loud as you explore Cologne and enjoy a beer and drinks. This tour includes a city tour, live guide, comedy show, 1 beer, and drinks. Get ready to have a great time in Cologne on this one-of-a-kind tour.
9. Koln City Exploration Game for Couples by Smartphone
Explore the beautiful city of Cologne with your partner through an interactive smartphone game that will make your time together unforgettable. This city exploration game for couples is an unusual but exciting adventure that combines the thrill of solving challenges and answering tricky questions with the beauty of a city walk. Through the interactive app, you and your partner will unlock clues to your next destination and get to know each other better by answering questions that focus on your relationship. This self-guided tour and game includes bonus content and a live tour guide to help you make new memories and form a deeper bond with your partner and the city. Join us for a day filled with fun, excitement, and adventure.
10. Cologne Hop on Hop Off Sightseeing Bus Ticket
Cologne is a vibrant and cultural city with plenty of attractions for visitors. And what better way to see all of Cologne’s essential spots than on a hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour? With this ticket, climb on board a double-decker sightseeing bus and take in the city’s pulsating atmosphere from a comfortable seat. The tour includes 14 stops where you can hop off the bus and explore your favourite attractions at your leisure. Highlights of the tour include the awe-inspiring Cologne Cathedral, the picturesque banks of the River Rhine, the peaceful city wall Zoo, and the charming old town. As you travel, learn all about Cologne’s rich history and culture by listening to your informative audio guide. With this ticket, you can also admire the city’s cultural diversity, and soak up the ambiance of its bustling streets. If you’re seeking a relaxed way to discover the charm of Cologne, this hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour is a must-try.
Visiting Cologne: Frequently Asked QuestionsCologne is a city that boasts a rich history, vibrant culture, and stunning architecture. As one of Germany’s most popular tourist destinations, Cologne attracts millions of visitors every year. If you’re planning a trip to this beautiful city, you might have a few questions about what to expect. In this post, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Cologne to help you plan the perfect trip.
1. What is Cologne famous for?Cologne is best known for its magnificent cathedral, the Kölner Dom. This stunning Gothic structure dates back to the 13th century and is one of the city’s most iconic landmarks. Cologne is also famous for its Christmas markets, which attract visitors from all over the world every winter. Beyond these, the city is known for its beer culture, with numerous breweries and bars offering the chance to taste some of the world’s best brews.
2. When is the best time to visit Cologne?The best time to visit Cologne is during the summer months, when the weather is warm and pleasant. From June through August, the city comes alive with outdoor events and festivals, including the Köln Triathlon, the Cologne Pride Parade, and the City Festival. However, if you’re looking to experience the magic of Cologne’s Christmas markets, plan your trip between late November and early January.
3. How do I get around Cologne?Cologne has an excellent public transportation system, including buses, trams, and trains. The KVB (Kölner Verkehrs-Betriebe) operates a network of buses and trams that cover the entire city, while the S-Bahn and U-Bahn trains provide fast and efficient transportation to the suburbs and surrounding areas. You can purchase tickets from machines at stations or directly from the driver.
4. What are some must-see attractions in Cologne?In addition to the Kölner Dom, Cologne is home to a wide range of museums, galleries, and cultural institutions. Some of the best include the Museum Ludwig, which features modern art from around the world, the Romano-Germanic Museum, which showcases artifacts from the ancient Roman city of Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensis, and the Cologne Philharmonic, one of the city’s premier music venues. Visitors can also take a stroll along the Rhine River, shop at the Stadtgarten flea market, or enjoy a picnic in the beautiful Volksgarten park.
5. What is the local cuisine in Cologne?Cologne is known for its hearty and delicious cuisine, which includes a range of meat dishes, stews, and soups. Some of the must-try dishes in Cologne include the Kölscher Kaviar, which is a spread made from blood sausage, onions, and herbs, as well as the famous Himmel un Ääd, which is a traditional dish made from mashed potatoes, apples, and black pudding. Of course, no visit to Cologne is complete without sampling some of the local beer, including the famous Kölsch.
6. Is Cologne a safe city for tourists?Cologne is generally a safe city for tourists, with a low crime rate and friendly locals. However, as with any major city, it’s important to take precautions to ensure your safety. Always keep an eye on your belongings, especially in crowded areas, and avoid walking alone at night. Additionally, be aware of the potential for pickpocketing and other petty crimes, and take steps to protect yourself.
7. What is the currency used in Cologne?Cologne is part of the Eurozone, so the euro is the official currency used throughout the city. Most businesses accept credit and debit cards, but it’s always a good idea to carry some cash with you, especially when visiting smaller shops and restaurants.
8. What is the language spoken in Cologne?The official language of Cologne is German, although many locals also speak English. If you’re planning to visit the city, it’s a good idea to brush up on some basic German phrases, such as “hello” (hallo), “thank you” (danke), and “excuse me” (entschuldigung).
9. What are some local customs and etiquette I should be aware of?In Cologne, it’s important to greet people with a handshake and use formal titles when meeting new people. Additionally, it’s customary to remove your shoes when entering someone’s home, especially if they have expensive carpets or rugs. When dining out, it’s polite to wait until everyone has been served before beginning to eat, and to tip your server between 5-10% of the total bill.
10. Where are the best places to stay in Cologne?Cologne has a wide range of accommodation options to suit every budget and travel style. Some of the best areas to stay in Cologne include the Old Town (Altstadt), which is home to many historic landmarks and cultural institutions, and the Belgian Quarter (Belgisches Viertel), which is known for its trendy shops, restaurants, and bars. Other popular areas include Ehrenfeld, Nippes, and Deutz.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in CologneCologne, also known as Köln in German, is a beautiful city located in the west of Germany. It is famous for its remarkable Romanesque churches, amazing museums and galleries, stunning parks and gardens, and of course, for its delicious Kölsch beer. If you are planning a visit to Cologne for the first time, then this guide will provide you with some valuable insights on how to make the most of your time while in the city.
1. Visit the Cologne CathedralThe Cologne Cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most visited landmarks in Germany. It is known for its stunning Gothic architecture and impressive size. The foundation stone of the cathedral was laid in 1248, and it took over 600 years to complete. When you visit, be sure to take a tour to the top of the cathedral to have an incredible view of the Rhine river and the city skyline.
2. Explore the Museum LudwigThe Museum Ludwig is a modern art museum located in the heart of Cologne. It has an impressive collection of modern and contemporary art, including works by Picasso, Warhol, and Lichtenstein. The museum also has a fantastic collection of photography, with works by renowned photographers such as Andreas Gursky.
3. Take a Stroll through the Historic Old TownThe Historic Old Town of Cologne is a must-visit attraction for anyone visiting the city. The area is home to many medieval houses, narrow streets, and traditional shops. You can also find some of the best traditional German restaurants and bars here. Make sure to try the local delicacy, Himmel un Äd, which is mashed potatoes mixed with apple sauce, onions, and black pudding.
4. Visit the Cologne ZooThe Cologne Zoo is one of the oldest and most visited zoos in Germany. It is home to over 700 species of animals, including elephants, lions, tigers, and polar bears. The zoo also has a lovely aquarium, a tropical rainforest house, and a fantastic playground for children.
5. Experience the Local Food and Drink SceneCologne is famous for its traditional food and drink scene. Some of the must-try foods include the traditional Kölsch beer, which is a light and refreshing beer served in small glasses. Also, try the Reibekuchen, which is a type of potato pancake that is usually served with apple sauce.
6. Relax in the City’s Parks and GardensCologne has some of the most beautiful and well-maintained parks and gardens in Germany. The most popular ones include the Rheinpark, which is located on the banks of the Rhine river and has stunning views of the city skyline; the Forstbotanischer Garten, which is a botanical garden with over 800 species of trees and plants from all over the world; and the Stadtgarten, which is a lovely park in the heart of the city with several cafes and restaurants.
7. Take a Boat Tour on the Rhine RiverTaking a boat tour on the Rhine river is one of the best ways to see the city’s skyline and famous landmarks from a different perspective. The boat tour will take you past the Cologne Cathedral, the Hohenzollern Bridge, and the Rheinauhafen, among other famous landmarks.
8. Shop at the Neumarkt and SchildergasseThe Neumarkt and Schildergasse are two of the most popular shopping areas in Cologne. The Neumarkt has several high-end boutiques and designer shops, while the Schildergasse is known for its many department stores, including Galeria Kaufhof and Peek & Cloppenburg.
Book Your Tour NowCologne is a city full of history, culture, and amazing attractions. Whether you are interested in art, history, food, or just want to relax and enjoy the beautiful parks and gardens, Cologne has something for everyone. With this guide, you should be able to make the most of your time in the city and have an unforgettable experience. Just don’t forget to try the local Kölsch beer while you’re there!
Table of Contents