Whale Watching in Magic Skjervoy of Tromsø, Norway – Everything You Need to Know
Tromsø, Norway is a magnificent vacation destination. It offers visitors one-of-a-kind scenic views of the Arctic wilderness along with plenty of high-energy activities and tranquil moments of serenity. There are many great things one can do in this exotic place, but whale watching in Magic Skjervoy is probably one of the best experiences one can have on a visit to this region.
The Magic Skjervoy is renowned for its abundant populations of whales, dolphins, seals, and other marine life. The iconic landscape of this archipelago located on Norway’s northwestern coast provides a unique atmosphere that no other place could recreate. Whether you’re a pro wildlife photographer or just taking some stunning photographs for memory’s sake, Skjervoy is an unbeatable place for whale watching.
In this article we’ll explain what you need to know to prepare for a great whale watching adventure in Magic Skjervoy, Tromsø. We’ll also provide some helpful tips on how to spot the most elusive of these majestic creatures and ensure you get the best possible photos and videos out of the experience.
Tips Before Set Sail
Ultimately, your whale watching adventure should be as safe and thrilling as it can be. In order to get the most out of your Skjervoy experience, here are our best tips before setting sail:
- Do your research during the off-season. This way you can learn about the best season for whale watching in Magic Skjervoy and plan your trip accordingly for the chance to capture that perfect medium shot of a humpback or a giant blue whale.
- Pack appropriately for what can be a long boat ride to where the whales are most likely to be found. Bring sunscreen, a hat, and light clothing for warm weather and prepare for unexpected rain or cold weather with rain jackets, sweaters, and waterproof boots.
- Don’t forget your camera! Also, make sure you bring plenty of extra batteries and memory cards and keep them in an airtight waterproof container.
The Whale Watching Adventure
Once you’re on board, take some moments to get acquainted with the boat and all its safety features while enjoying the views of the archipelago. Then you can get ready to spot the elusive whales.
Here are some of our suggestions on how to get the best out of your whale watching:
- Peer carefully through binoculars to investigate any disturbances on the surface of the waters. A small whale or calf surfacing is an indication that an adult may soon follow so it’s important to stay alert.
- Listen carefully. The sound of large whales breaching can often be heard before they surface, so have your camera ready at all times.
- The early bird catches the whale! Get up early and out on the water before everyone else so you won’t miss out on any wondrous sites.
- Focus on one area. Trying to locate whales over a large area can prove to be a challenge so it’s better to focus on one spot at a time and move around gradually as necessary.
The Magic Skjervoy Marine Wildlife
The Magic Skjervoy archipelago offers one of the richest concentrations of marine wildlife in the entire world. Many species of whales, both small and large, can be found in this area along with other cetaceans and sea birds like gannets and puffins. Here’s a quick look at the various creatures that inhabit these waters:
- Whales: Large numbers of humpback, minke, and blue whales can often be seen swimming or spouting off the northern shores of Skjervoy.
- Dolphins: Families of white-beaked dolphins live in these waters as well as harbor and Atlantic white-sided dolphins.
- Seals: Harbor Seals are the most common but Grey Seals, Walrus, and even Narwhals have been sighted nearby.
- Fish: Giant Atlantic cod and Pollock inhabit this region as well as various species of sharks.
- Birds: Many species of migratory birds including puffins, phalaropes, cormorants, bald eagles, shags, and gannets call Skjervoy home.
Whale watching in Magic Skjervoy is an unforgettable experience that should not be missed when visiting Tromsø, Norway. With careful preparation and ample knowledge of these beautiful creatures, you’re sure to make memories that will last a lifetime. If you’re ready to embark on an amazing whale watching adventure in Magic Skjervoy then click here) and book an incredible experience now!
Share This Article with Your Friends
If you found this article helpful, your friends might appreciate it too. Click on any of the social share buttons below to share it with them and spread the knowledge.