What is the Best Place to See in Bhubaneswar?
Answer: Bhubaneswar is a city full of history and beauty with many interesting sights and attractions to discover. It is the capital city of the eastern Indian state of Odisha and is a popular tourist destination. With its rich culture, delicious cuisine and stunning temples, it’s no surprise that Bhubaneswar has been attracting travelers from near and far.
Some of the most popular attractions to see while in Bhubaneswar include:
- Lingaraj Temple – This iconic temple is one of the largest Hindu temples in the country and is located in the heart of the city. The main shrine is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is composed of an 80-foot tower surrounded by more than 50 shrines dedicated to various gods and goddesses.
- Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves – Located on two hills near Bhubaneswar, these caves were constructed in the first century BC by the imperial Jain royalty that ruled the region at that time. There are seventeen caves in total, each with its own unique structures, carvings and inscriptions that can easily be explored on foot.
- Nandankanan Zoological Park – This is one of India’s most important wildlife sanctuaries and is home to some of the rarest animals in the world. Visitors to the park have the opportunity to observe tigers, lions, leopards, panthers, sloth bears and rhinos in their natural habitat.
- Dhauli Giri Hills – Situated 8 km from Bhubaneswar, these hills are home to the Shanti Stupa, a magnificent white marble monument dedicated to world peace. The stupa overlooks the plains of Kalinga, which was the site of an ancient battle between Ashoka and Kalinga.
- Raja Rani Temple – Also known as the Rameshwar Temple, this 800-year old temple was built during the 10th century by the Ganga Dynasty. The temple complex is made up of four shrines dedicated to Lord Vishnu, and it is especially known for its intricate stone carvings and sculpted figures.
Bhubaneswar is full of fascinating places to explore, so it can be hard to choose what to do when visiting this fascinating city. With so much to see and do, you’ll have an unforgettable experience exploring this cultural gem. Ultimately, what is considered to be the best place to see in Bhubaneswar depends on each individual’s interests and preferences. However, there can be little doubt that a visit to any of the places listed above will make for an unforgettable experience.
For more information about the top attractions in Bhubaneswar, Odisha Travel’s list of attractions is some of the most comprehensive and up-to-date resources out there. Areas like Lingaraj Temple, Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves and Raja Rani Temple are all featured, so it’s easy to find the attractions you’re interested in. The website features a map, cutting-edge travel guides and high-quality photos that give an accurate overview of each location.
To make sure you visit as many attractions as possible during your time in Bhubaneswar, it’s best to plan your trips beforehand. Researching ahead of time will also make sure you’re not missing out on any of the secret gems that Bhubaneswar has to offer.
Ultimately, there’s no single “best” place to see in Bhubaneswar, as there are so many amazing attractions in this city. The best advice for travelers is to research ahead of time, plan trips carefully and explore as many of Bhubaneswar’s attractions as possible!
The Insider’s Guide to Bhubaneswar, India
Bhubaneswar, known as the Temple City of India, is the capital of the state of Odisha in eastern India. It is a city steeped in history and adorned with beautiful temples and cultural landmarks that draw visitors from across the country. Here is an insider’s guide to the best places to see, eat, and experience in Bhubaneswar.
Bhubaneswar is famous for its ancient temples and rich cultural heritage. Here are some of the top attractions that you cannot miss when you visit the city.
- Lingaraja Temple: This famous temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is considered one of the finest examples of Kalinga architecture. The temple is over 1,000 years old and attracts thousands of visitors every day.
- Mukteswara Temple: This 10th-century temple is known for its intricate carvings and beautiful sculptures. It is famous for its depiction of Lord Shiva and attracts many visitors throughout the year.
- Rajarani Temple: This temple is famous for its amazing sculptures and carvings. It is one of the few temples in India that does not feature a deity and is solely dedicated to the art and architecture of the Kalinga period.
- Dhauli Hill: This is a historic site where Emperor Ashoka is said to have renounced violence and embraced Buddhism. The site features a large white peace pagoda and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding areas.
Bhubaneswar is known for its delicious local cuisine, so don’t miss the chance to indulge in some authentic Odia dishes when you visit. Here are some of the best dining spots to satisfy your cravings in the city.
- Dalma: This is a popular restaurant that serves authentic Odia cuisine. It is famous for its delicious dalma, a traditional Odia dish made with lentils and vegetables.
- The Zaika: This is a casual dining restaurant that serves a variety of Indian and Chinese dishes. The restaurant is famous for its buffet and quick service.
- Silver Streak: This restaurant serves a variety of delicious Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes. It is known for its unique ambiance and live music performances.
- Truptee: This is a vegetarian restaurant that serves authentic Odia cuisine. It is famous for its delicious thali, a platter filled with a variety of vegetarian dishes.
Bhubaneswar has a rich cultural heritage that is reflected in its art, music, and dance performances. Here are some of the best cultural experiences that you can have in Bhubaneswar.
- Odissi Dance Performances: Odissi is a traditional dance form of Odisha that originated in Bhubaneswar. You can witness an Odissi performance at various venues across the city.
- Craft Village: The Raghurajpur Artist Village is located just outside Bhubaneswar and is famous for its Pattachitra paintings, a traditional art form that originated in Odisha. You can visit the village and learn about the traditional art forms of the region.
- Tribal Villages: There are many tribal communities in the vicinity of Bhubaneswar that offer a glimpse into the traditional way of life of the region. You can take a trip to one of these villages and learn about their customs and traditions.
Bhubaneswar has a rich and storied history that is reflected in its many temples and historical sites. Here are some of the best places to learn about the city’s history.
- State Museum: This museum houses a vast collection of artifacts that document the history and culture of the state of Odisha. The exhibits include stone sculptures, ancient coins, and traditional textiles.
- Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves: These caves date back to the 2nd century BC and are famous for their Jain rock-cut sculptures. The caves offer a glimpse into the ancient history of the region.
- Old Town: The Old Town of Bhubaneswar is home to many ancient temples and historic buildings. You can take a walking tour of the area and learn about the city’s rich cultural and architectural heritage.
If you have some extra time in Bhubaneswar, here are some unique and offbeat places to explore.
- Ekamra Haat: This is a traditional market that sells handicrafts, textiles, and other local products. It is a great place to pick up souvenirs and immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Nandankanan Zoological Park: This zoological park is located on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar and is home to a variety of wild animals, including white tigers and lions. You can take a safari ride through the park to see the animals up close.
- Ansupa Lake: This beautiful lake is located about 40 km from Bhubaneswar and is a popular spot for picnics and boating. The lake is surrounded by lush forests and offers stunning views of the surrounding hills.
Bhubaneswar is a beautiful city with a rich cultural heritage and many fascinating sights to explore. From ancient temples to traditional markets, there is something for every traveler in this vibrant and welcoming city. So plan your visit to Bhubaneswar today and experience the best that India has to offer!
Table of Contents