What to Do in Galway – A Comprehensive Guide to Experience County Galway
Galway, the “City of the Tribes”, is a popular tourist destination in the west of Ireland. Home to a wealth of history, culture, and stunning natural beauty, the county of Galway offers an abundance of activities for visitors; from historical sightseeing, to outdoor adventures, to shopping, dining and nightlife. In this guide, we’ll look at the best activities, attractions and experiences to enjoy in Galway.
What To Do in Galway – The Top 10 Activities & Experiences
1. Shop & Dine at the Latin Quarter – Galway’s Latin Quarter is a one-stop hub for entertainment and shopping, lined with restaurants, cafes, pubs, and boutiques. Be sure to check out the unique street performers, who will keep you entertained while you window-shop and grab a bite to eat.
2. Visit Galway Cathedral – Visit this centuries-old site to view its magnificent architecture. Built in 1965, the Cathedral is a landmark of the city, offering stunning views of Galway Bay.
3. Cruise Along the Corrib River – Take a boat trip along the Corrib river, where you can admire the picturesque landscape while listening to a lively commentary.
4. Explore Cliffs of Moher – Drive 45 minutes from Galway and you’ll reach the iconic Cliffs of Moher; a staggering 8kms of majestic cliffs that provide breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and surrounding hills.
5. Explore Galway City – Take a stroll through the cobbled streets of Galway City and discover the hidden gems it has to offer.
6. Visit Connemara National Park – Connemara National Park is a 2,000 hectare park, located just an hour’s drive from Galway City. Take a leisurely walk through the park and admire it’s incredible beauty.
7. Visit Kylemore Abbey and Visitor Centre – Located in Connemara National Park, Kylemore Abbey is a stunning 19th century Gothic Victorian castle, surrounded by gardens and woodland walks. Today it is home to a Benedictine monastery, a visitor centre and gift shop.
8. Enjoy a Traditional Music Session – Ireland has a vibrant traditional music culture, which you can experience firsthand at one of the many music sessions held in pubs throughout Galway.
9. Take a Tour of Aran Islands – Take a ferry to the stunning Aran Islands for a glimpse into rural Irish life. Stay for lunch at one of the local restaurants and take part in one of the many beach walks available on the Islands.
10. Enjoy Water Sports – Enjoy a range of water sports on offer in Galway; such as stand up paddle boarding, kayaking and sailing. Check out Sailwest for more information on water sports activities in Galway.
Where to Stay in Galway
Whether you prefer up-scale luxury hotels or budget-friendly hostels or B&B’s, Galway has accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets. Some top-rated places to stay include the above mentioned Harbour Hotel The Harbour Hotel and the House Hotel, plus Westwood House Hotel, Fellows House Hotel and Clayton Hotel Galway City. For those on a budget there are plenty of hostels and self-catering options available such as Sleepzone Hostel in Salthill or Oranmore Lodge Backpackers.
Galway is an unmissable stop on any Ireland vacation — so online make sure you plan your visit with this comprehensive guide! From sightseeing and adventure activities to shopping, dining and nightlife — make sure you get the most out of your stay in Galway!