Rapid City, South Dakota, is a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. With its breathtaking natural scenery, fascinating history, and endless outdoor activities, it’s the perfect destination for anyone looking for an adventure-packed vacation. From national monuments to regional attractions, there’s something for everyone in Rapid City. In this post, we have compiled a list of the best attractions and things to do in Rapid City that will make your trip unforgettable. So, pack your bags and get ready to explore everything this amazing city has to offer!
The 2 Best Things To Do In Rapid City
- Private Tour of Custer State Park Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial
- Black Hills Private Tour of Mt Rushmore Flume Trail Hike
The 2 Best Things To Do In Rapid City
1. Private Tour of Custer State Park Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial
Discover the best of South Dakota with your personal tour guide on this private excursion from Rapid City. Your adventure will begin at Custer State Park where you will have the chance to spot American Bison, bighorn sheep, and antelope. Afterward, you will visit the iconic Mount Rushmore National Memorial and take in the spectacular views of the sculpture carved into the mountain. To cap off your day, you will visit the Crazy Horse Memorial that pays tribute to the Native American warrior.
Throughout the tour, your knowledgeable guide will share insightful information about Native American and US history. You won’t have to worry about traveling on a large tourist bus as this private tour ensures a personalized experience. You will also get to enjoy a delicious lunch and snacks during the tour while bottled water and gratuities are included in the price.
On tour day, you’ll be greeted by an Adventure Guide with a smile and a vehicle with a My XO Adventures Logo on the side. This pickup service eliminates the hassle of hunting down transportation to the meeting point. Confirmation of your tour is received at the time of booking and you don’t have to worry about admission fees.
Discover the iconic attractions of South Dakota with this private Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial tour today!
2. Black Hills Private Tour of Mt Rushmore Flume Trail Hike
Explore two famous landmarks of the Black Hills on this full-day private tour. Enjoy a convenient pick-up from Rapid City, Custer or Hill City and spend your morning learning in-depth details of Mount Rushmore, the Shrine of Democracy and how the Monument came to fruition. Take great pictures and admire the panoramic views.
Savor a delicious lunch at a location of your choice and spend the rest of the day hiking the Flume Trail. Hike 3-miles downhill while enjoying the local flora and wildlife. The Flume Trail follows the historic Rockerville Flume, an 1880’s gold-rush era water channel used to transport gold.
Your knowledgeable guide can share stories and teach about the rare history of the Black Hills and the Flume Trail. Take in up-close views of Mt. Rushmore National Monument, and learn more about the area. Book this private tour for a unique and unforgettable experience.
Frequently Asked Questions about Rapid City – A Comprehensive GuideRapid City is a beautiful city set against the scenic landscapes of the Black Hills in South Dakota. As a tourist, you may have various questions about the city before visiting. In this article, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about Rapid City.
When is the best time to visit Rapid City?The best time to visit Rapid City is during the summer months from June to August. During this time, the temperature hovers around 80°F, and there’s plenty of sunshine. However, if you’re planning to visit Mount Rushmore, visit during the shoulder months of May or September when the crowds are smaller.
What are the top tourist attractions in Rapid City?Rapid City is home to several tourist attractions. Some of the top attractions include:
Mount Rushmore National MemorialMount Rushmore is one of the most iconic landmarks in the United States. The sculpture features the faces of former Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.
Badlands National ParkThe Badlands National Park offers a unique landscape with rugged rock formations and spires. Visitors can go hiking, camping, and wildlife watching.
Custer State ParkCuster State Park is famous for its scenic drives, hiking trails, and wildlife. Visitors can see bison, deer, pronghorns, and bighorn sheep.
Are there any family-friendly activities in Rapid City?Yes, there are several family-friendly activities in Rapid City. Some of them include:
Storybook IslandStorybook Island is a theme park with various storybook features and rides for children.
Dinosaur ParkDinosaur Park is a park that features several dinosaur sculptures that children can climb on and learn about.
Pirate’s Cove Adventure GolfPirate’s Cove Adventure Golf offers mini-golf courses with a pirate theme. There are also go-karts and bumper cars available.
What are some of the best places to eat in Rapid City?Rapid City has several excellent places to eat. Some of the best restaurants include:
Firehouse Brewing CompanyThe Firehouse Brewing Company is a brewery and restaurant that serves handcrafted beer and traditional pub food.
Tally’s Silver SpoonTally’s Silver Spoon is a diner that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner with dishes such as omelets, burgers, and salads.
Prairie Edge Trading Co. & GalleriesThe Prairie Edge Trading Co. & Galleries is a Native American art gallery that also features a restaurant. The restaurant serves dishes such as bison burgers and wild rice soup.
What is the weather like in Rapid City?Rapid City has a continental climate with four distinct seasons. During the summer months, the temperature hovers around 80°F, and during the winter months, the temperature can drop to below freezing.
How do I get around Rapid City?Rapid City has a public transport system known as the Rapid City Area Transit (RCAT). The RCAT runs several bus routes throughout the city. Visitors can also rent cars and bicycles to get around the city.
What are some of the best hotels in Rapid City?Rapid City has several excellent hotels for tourists. Some of the best hotels include:
The Rushmore Hotel & SuitesThe Rushmore Hotel & Suites is a historic hotel that features luxury rooms and a restaurant.
Hampton Inn Rapid CityThe Hampton Inn Rapid City is a modern hotel that features a fitness center, an indoor pool, and free breakfast.
The Clubhouse Hotel & SuitesThe Clubhouse Hotel & Suites is a hotel with spacious rooms and suites, an indoor pool, and a hot tub.
What else is there to do in Rapid City?Apart from the tourist attractions, Rapid City has several other activities to offer. Some of them include:
Black Hills MazeThe Black Hills Maze is a large outdoor maze that visitors can try to navigate through.
Dahl Arts CenterThe Dahl Arts Center is an art gallery that features various exhibitions throughout the year.
Central States FairThe Central States Fair is an annual event that features various performances, rides, games, and food.
The Bottom LineRapid City is an exciting destination with various tourist attractions, family-friendly activities, excellent places to eat, and comfortable accommodation. We hope this guide helps you plan your visit to Rapid City and makes your trip memorable.
How to Spend Your Time as a Tourist in Rapid CityRapid City is a beautiful city situated in the Black Hills region of South Dakota, United States. The city is known for its beautiful mountain ranges, historic landmarks, and vibrant culture. It is the perfect destination for tourists who are looking for a fun-filled and culturally rich experience. If you’re planning a trip to Rapid City, here are some things you can do to make the most of your time there.
1. Visit Mount RushmoreNo trip to Rapid City is complete without a visit to Mount Rushmore. This iconic monument features the faces of four former presidents of the United States – George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln carved into the granite mountainside. Mount Rushmore is open year-round, and there is no admission fee to see it. You can walk around the monument, take photographs, and learn about its history at the visitor center.
2. Explore the Badlands National ParkThe Badlands National Park is located just an hour’s drive from Rapid City, and it is a must-visit destination for nature lovers. The park features unique landscapes with geological formations that date back millions of years. You can go hiking, camping, and wildlife watching in the park. The best time to visit the Badlands is during the spring and fall when the weather is mild.
3. Visit the Reptile GardensThe Reptile Gardens is a popular tourist attraction in Rapid City. The Gardens are home to a large collection of reptiles, birds, bugs, and other animals. You can see rare species such as the Komodo dragon, as well as animals native to the Black Hills region. The Reptile Gardens also offers a variety of interactive shows, tours, and exhibits.
4. Take a trip to the Black Hills National ForestThe Black Hills National Forest is a beautiful destination for nature enthusiasts. The forest covers over 1.2 million acres and offers a range of activities such as hiking, fishing, and rock climbing. You can also drive along the scenic byways that cut through the forest, providing picturesque views of the surrounding landscape.
5. Visit the Pioneer MuseumThe Pioneer Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the Black Hills region. The museum features exhibits on the Native American culture, the Gold Rush, and the pioneer settlers of the area. You can see historic artifacts, photographs, and documents that tell the story of the region’s development. The Pioneer Museum is open year-round, and admission is free.
6. Take a trip to the Black Hills MazeThe Black Hills Maze is a fun excursion for families with kids. The maze is set up like a puzzle, and the goal is to find the exit. The maze features different levels of difficulty, so you can choose the level based on your skills. The Maze also offers a variety of other activities, such as an obstacle course and mini-golf.
7. Take a ride on the 1880 TrainThe 1880 Train is a historic train that runs between Keystone and Hill City. The train is pulled by a vintage steam locomotive and provides a scenic view of the Black Hills region. The ride takes about an hour, and you can learn about the history of the area from the knowledgeable guides on board. The train runs from May through October.
8. Visit the Crazy Horse MemorialThe Crazy Horse Memorial is a mountaintop monument that is still under construction. It features a carving of the Oglala Lakota warrior Crazy Horse riding his horse. The monument is being carved into the granite mountainside, and it will be the largest mountain carving in the world once completed. You can visit the monument to learn about the tribal culture and see the ongoing work on the sculpture.In conclusion, Rapid City has a diverse range of attractions and activities to offer visitors. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or recreation, you’re sure to find something to suit your tastes in this vibrant city. Make the most of your trip to Rapid City by checking out some of the destinations listed above, and get ready to create some unforgettable memories.
Table of Contents